The Student Room Group

What to learn before university? (Comp Sci)

I'm bored, just finished my A levels. I want to learn something. I've been looking into Data Science courses but the Codecademy course requires Codecademy Pro. I'd be interested in anything to do with Data Science, Computing or Maths. My firm choice is Warwick for Computer Science for anything related to that course would be great as well.
Original post by jumpman123
I'm bored, just finished my A levels. I want to learn something. I've been looking into Data Science courses but the Codecademy course requires Codecademy Pro. I'd be interested in anything to do with Data Science, Computing or Maths. My firm choice is Warwick for Computer Science for anything related to that course would be great as well.

Probability, calculus, discrete mathematics, mathematical proof/reasoning are things you should be learning if you want to prepare for a rigorous degree at a rigorous university like Warwick.

Data Structures and algorithms are also worth looking at - it'll prepare you for your degree, and also interviews for SDE/SWE internships which will help to maximise your chances of getting a graduate job after university. You can find plenty of YouTube videos on those topics, or follow a structured MOOC.

None of this is obligatory, and you should be focusing on enjoying the long summer, but this should help stave off some of the boredom.
If you're interested in Data Science, have a look at some of the free courses offered by Harvard (There's programming and maths courses too)

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog?keywords=&subject%5B%5D=3&subject%5B%5D=84&paid%5B1%5D=1&max_price=&start_date_range%5Bmin%5D%5Bdate%5D=&start_date_range%5Bmax%5D%5Bdate%5D=
You can ignore all the paid certificate options, individual courses can be unlocked for free just by choosing 'audit' when you enrol on them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Probability, calculus, discrete mathematics, mathematical proof/reasoning are things you should be learning if you want to prepare for a rigorous degree at a rigorous university like Warwick.

Data Structures and algorithms are also worth looking at - it'll prepare you for your degree, and also interviews for SDE/SWE internships which will help to maximise your chances of getting a graduate job after university. You can find plenty of YouTube videos on those topics, or follow a structured MOOC.

None of this is obligatory, and you should be focusing on enjoying the long summer, but this should help stave off some of the boredom.

I've covered a lot of the maths within A level Maths, I'll have a look into discrete maths as well as data structures. What's the best site for courses? edx? codecademy? coursera?
Reply 4
Original post by winterscoming
If you're interested in Data Science, have a look at some of the free courses offered by Harvard (There's programming and maths courses too)

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog?keywords=&subject%5B%5D=3&subject%5B%5D=84&paid%5B1%5D=1&max_price=&start_date_range%5Bmin%5D%5Bdate%5D=&start_date_range%5Bmax%5D%5Bdate%5D=
You can ignore all the paid certificate options, individual courses can be unlocked for free just by choosing 'audit' when you enrol on them.

Thanks, I'll have a look on the opening days in July.
Original post by jumpman123
I've covered a lot of the maths within A level Maths, I'll have a look into discrete maths as well as data structures. What's the best site for courses? edx? codecademy? coursera?

Probably not Codecademy, seeing you have to pay for their "Pro" content.

EdX is probably best for MOOCs.

Don't overlook YouTube either - some quality videos on there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending