Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Finished my second year with a 2.2. Most of my modules were 2.1 but one module brought the year average down to a 2.2. Feel like university has been a waste of time and money so far, and is getting me nowhere in life. Unless third year improves things, I will end up having wasted a heap of money for a piece of paper with a desmond on it. Are 2.2s really that bad?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Finished my second year with a 2.2. Most of my modules were 2.1 but one module brought the year average down to a 2.2. Feel like university has been a waste of time and money so far, and is getting me nowhere in life. Unless third year improves things, I will end up having wasted a heap of money for a piece of paper with a desmond on it. Are 2.2s really that bad?
No - my son has a 2.2 in physics and has a very good job. I have a 2.2 in geography and would not be in my current job if I didn't have that. Just work your socks off in the third year - guess you get to choose what you want to do.

Don't resign yourself to the 2.2 though
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Better get working your butt off for final year then.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You need to go and talk to tutors - now.

If you don't get it together - sharply and properly - you will end up with a 2.2. And, although plenty of people do manage perfectly good careers with a 2.2, a 2.1 makes this a whole heap easier.

What went wrong this year. What can I do now to pull it together. What can I do over the summer to get myself in a better place for Year 3. These are the questions you need to ask, and you need to take the answers seriously. You *can* pull this out of the fire, but it will need some harder work than you have done this year, and a change in attitude.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 2 months ago
i can't advise you on the quality of a 2:2 degree but i wouldn't sell yourself short just yet. you still have one more year to go. that's loads of time to get up to a 2:1. how are your years weighted?
Claudette
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Xarao)
Yes 2.2 is bad. When almost everyone gets a 2.1, why would employers want to even look at you with a 2.2 realistically speaking?

However if you do get a 2.2, the only way you can make yourself look more "appealing" is by having actual work experience. If you don't, then you're just another graduate that failed to achieve what 70% of graduates managed to achieve, a 2.1.
How is this helpful or supportive in any way?
Many degrees are not worth the paper they are written on, what's the point in a 2:1 in a degree that probably won't contribute to you getting a job? better to have a 2:2 in a subject that is actually worth something.
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Many jobs filter out anything below a 2.1 at the application stage. Not saying you can't be successful, I know several people with a 2.2 who have well paid good jobs they enjoy, but a 2.1 is a massive advantage. Hope this makes sesnse, but the difference from 2.2 to 2.1 is greater in an employers eyes than 2.1 to first in my experience.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends on what you want to do after your degree. A 2.2 isn't necessarily bad, it just makes things a lot harder than if you'd ended up with a 2.1. You'll have to have more work experience, higher quality work experience, better personal statements and interview techniques and generally better applications for all jobs and postgrad courses. Some doors will be automatically closed to you, popular Masters programs that have a requirement of a 2.1 for example, but there are still lots of viable options for you. And you've got final year to really push yourself to get that 2.1 so don't give up hope yet.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Claudette)
How is this helpful or supportive in any way?
Many degrees are not worth the paper they are written on, what's the point in a 2:1 in a degree that probably won't contribute to you getting a job? better to have a 2:2 in a subject that is actually worth something.
Erh, what? You want me to lie to OP and instead give him a little cuddle and tell him everything will be okay? How is that helpful or supportive?

Grow up, this is reality whether you like it or not. Also, your post has literally no relevance to what the OP said. This isn't a thread about whether the degree is worth it or not, but rather the implications of the grade.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
A 2:2 won't help matters for sure, but you are already right about university being mostly a waste of time. There are millions of us now with degrees and life outside of university is pretty ugly believe me. Hand on heart I would say get internships this summer and next summer and also get a job. If you can combine that with a 2:2 then you'll be ok. A 2:1 on its own is not going to count for much trust me.
Claudette
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Grow up?! Hahaha! :rolleyes: I'm the last person to give someone "a little cuddle and tell them everything will be ok"
Actually everything WILL be ok. I would rather employ someone with a 2:2 who has something about them and will be able to function in the real world rather than someone with a first who has no idea about LIFE.
I'm tired of these children who think that high grades will mean they have a better life when that really isn't always the case.
(Original post by Xarao)
Erh, what? You want me to lie to OP and instead give him a little cuddle and tell him everything will be okay? How is that helpful or supportive?

Grow up, this is reality whether you like it or not. Also, your post has literally no relevance to what the OP said. This isn't a thread about whether the degree is worth it or not, but rather the implications of the grade.
Claudette
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A 2:2 won't help matters for sure, but you are already right about university being mostly a waste of time. There are millions of us now with degrees and life outside of university is pretty ugly believe me. Hand on heart I would say get internships this summer and next summer and also get a job. If you can combine that with a 2:2 then you'll be ok. A 2:1 on its own is not going to count for much trust me.
Well said!
username2569523
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You have another year to bump it up to a 2.1
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
Keep pushing !

I remember being in a similar position to you last year and looking to the student room for any examples of people who still graduated with a 2:1 regardless of their low 2:2 in second year.

I just graduated with a 2:1 in LLB Law after averaging a low 2:2 (54%) in my second year.

Dedicate your whole academic year to your work. Visit your lecturers often to clarify any issues. Revise 1 month prior to the exam and write essays 1 month prior to the due date. Resist any distractions.

Just make sure you push yourself all the way and you can deffo do it, dont settle for less ! even though it may look hopeless, its possible !
chlo_bel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you are getting a 2.2 studying Physics at Oxford, it is forgivable. On the other hand, if you are on course for a 2.2 studying a 'Mickey Mouse' degree at a polytechnic, then it is a massive waste of time. Employers tend to look for 2.1 and above.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Claudette)
Grow up?! Hahaha! :rolleyes: I'm the last person to give someone "a little cuddle and tell them everything will be ok"
Actually everything WILL be ok. I would rather employ someone with a 2:2 who has something about them and will be able to function in the real world rather than someone with a first who has no idea about LIFE.
I'm tired of these children who think that high grades will mean they have a better life when that really isn't always the case.
Thank god you'll never be in a hiring position then.

Also, I already stated that majority people will get a 2.1 anyways, so what's the most sensible choice?

Someone who has something about them with a 2.2 or someone who has something about them with a 2.1? Clearly you already know the answer. I would of advised you to stop embarrassing yourself after the first time, but you just keep on going don't you!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Getting plenty of work experience this summer but ideally want the 2.1
(Original post by Xarao)
Yes 2.2 is bad. When almost everyone gets a 2.1, why would employers want to even look at you with a 2.2 realistically speaking?

However if you do get a 2.2, the only way you can make yourself look more "appealing" is by having actual work experience. If you don't, then you're just another graduate that failed to achieve what 70% of graduates managed to achieve, a 2.1.
Anonymous #1
second year is 33%, third year 66%
(Original post by Joleee)
i can't advise you on the quality of a 2:2 degree but i wouldn't sell yourself short just yet. you still have one more year to go. that's loads of time to get up to a 2:1. how are your years weighted?
Anonymous #1
What does a 2.1 demonstrate besides being good academically? Why is life outside uni so bad? Thanks so much
Anonymous #1
Congratulations, what modules did you take for final year?
Keep pushing !

I remember being in a similar position to you last year and looking to the student room for any examples of people who still graduated with a 2:1 regardless of their low 2:2 in second year.

I just graduated with a 2:1 in LLB Law after averaging a low 2:2 (54%) in my second year.

Dedicate your whole academic year to your work. Visit your lecturers often to clarify any issues. Revise 1 month prior to the exam and write essays 1 month prior to the due date. Resist any distractions.

Just make sure you push yourself all the way and you can deffo do it, dont settle for less ! even though it may look hopeless, its possible !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.79%
Disagree (5)
6.49%
Neither agree or disagree (20)
25.97%
Agree (32)
41.56%
Strongly Agree (14)
18.18%

Watched Threads