Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure most of us have downloaded something that infringes on copyright at some point, and that quite a fair few people will take electronic devices on holiday with them too.

I just heard about this little proposal called the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. Basically, it's a G8 proposal to enforce international copyright laws and allow for things like border officials to search your electronic goods for items that may infringe on international copyright, like music and all that jazz. And allowing ISPs to divulge information about suspect infringers without warrant and some other stuff.

(Original post by wiki)
    Newspaper reports indicate that the proposed agreement would empower security officials at airports and other international borders to conduct random searches of laptops, MP3 players, and cellular phones for illegally downloaded or "ripped" music and movies. Travelers with infringing content would be subject to a fine and may have their devices confiscated or destroyed.
    Blah blah blah, it's not going to happen yet, if at all. But I wanted to know what people here think about it.

Also, there's being able to distinguish between what mp3s you've ripped yourself for convenience, work arounds like encrypting or hiding files, because I'm sure customs have better things to do, the odd person getting pissy at random checks and a whole lot of other stuff.

Anyway, I'm tired and here's the wiki link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Co...rade_Agreement

Oh, don't be putting on tin foil hats any time soon, it's nothing for now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is bad and you can't even encrypt it as you are forced to hand over your passwords

ReputationRep:
    I have about 200 copied DVDs i take on holiday with me. Its a good thing I copied all of them seeing as I lost the originals on the train one day.

How exactly is a boarder offical going to be able to prove im lying? They cant. Anyone that actually accepts and pays one of these fines is a moron.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that is what they were saying on twit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 9, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.