Turn on thread page Beta

UCL v. LSE watch

• View Poll Results: In general, whose law department is better: UCL or LSE?
    UCL
    45.83%
    LSE
    41.67%
    Both are equal
    9.72%
    Depends... (please elaborate)
    2.78%

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by the birmingham 1st v. durham 2:1 poll, I am holding a similar one here....

ReputationRep:
    UCL's on a 9-1 lead

ReputationRep:
    I am very surprised that UCL has such a strong following to be honest. Especially since so many people hark on about how LSE is 'nearly on a par with Oxbridge' yet UCL never seems to get put in that group. Maybe we just have a lot of UCL students voting.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe you were mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for UCL.

LSE is very good for Law undoubtedly. But their true strength is Economics.

*waits for slew of criticism*

ReputationRep:
    UCL tends to be higher in the league tables...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Katy)
    UCL tends to be higher in the league tables...
    Quoting league tables wouldn't be very wise. With the exception of Oxbridge, the next three to five spots are often very interchangeable.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is a heavyweight in terms of political influence and reputation among employers. UCL reputation although undoubtedly sound isnt on par with LSE, yet. Its wrong to say that since LSE strength lies in economics (or since its called the London school of Economics )its law school is relegated to 2nd tier, which isnt true. In fact, I would say that the law faculty has plenty to leverage on, given the strength of its economics faculty and instituition's brand name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de.novo)
    Quoting league tables wouldn't be very wise. With the exception of Oxbridge, the next three to five spots are often very interchangeable.
    Thus the elipsis

Those league tables are rather annoying...

Last time I checked (The Times) for Law, Oxford was 5th (http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...b=21&x=42&y=12)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yonanz)
    LSE is a heavyweight in terms of political influence and reputation among employers. UCL reputation although undoubtedly sound isnt on par with LSE, yet. Its wrong to say that since LSE strength lies in economics (or since its called the London school of Economics )its law school is relegated to 2nd tier, which isnt true. In fact, I would say that the law faculty has plenty to leverage on, given the strength of its economics faculty and instituition's brand name.
    They both do have their respective strengths in the field of Law. However, it is my opinion that UCL is slightly better. LSE might have the obvious international reputation. It is very difficult to compare the universities as a whole, which is where their international rankings come from. UCL is exemplary when it comes to their science courses as well as social sciences and arts. Whereas, LSE is very much the powerhouse on social sciences. But, each university like many others ride off their niche subjects a little. Endless and a little pointless of a debate if you ask me.
    Those league tables are rather annoying...

Last time I checked (The Times) for Law, Oxford was 5th (http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...b=21&x=42&y=12)
    Absurd isn't it? But regardless of league tables, everyone knows which universities are the Law powerhouses. League tables are there for entertainment value. For me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Absurd isn't it? But regardless of league tables, everyone knows which univerisites are the Law powerhouses. League tables are there for entertainment value. For me anyway.
    I do admit that my jaw came highly close to dropping, bet they weren't too chuffed with that

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen above Oxford and LSE..... I don't know about the education there, it might be really good but it just doesn't make it reputationwise, and reputation is there for a reason.

OP I think UCL and LSE are more or less equal when it comes to law. The difference should really be marginal.

ReputationRep:
    lol aberdeen joint 2nd? hmmmmm sounds a bit suspect.... Also Bristol's rather low down as well!

ReputationRep:
    But to answer the question I reckon the difference is negligable really, both!

ReputationRep:
    3 of the top 10 are Scottish, which isn't exactly highly useful to anyone who wants to practise in England

ReputationRep:
    3 of the top 10 are Scottish, which isn't exactly highly useful to anyone who wants to practise in England
    Thank you! I have always maintained that the universities that offer English Law and Scots Law be separated when it comes to league tables given the different course content, duration etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I have always maintained that the universities that offer English Law and Scots Law be separated when it comes to league tables given the different course content, duration etc.
    Precisely! It didn't even occur to me until a few month's ago, but it's not even like the legal systems are slightly similiar, the Scottish is more similiar to the continental system

Silly people.

ReputationRep:
    I voted UCL for obvious reasons.
    Seriously, though - I think the difference between UCL, LSE and even (gasp!) KCL ('Strand Poly') are negligible.

ReputationRep:
    I would say LSE. Have you seen their faculty? Loads of practising barristers (many who are QC) teach there and by it's careers department alone would come top. But a law degree from UCL wouldn't exactly hinder your chances for a TC in a MC firm. Both are great with LSE with the advantage because of it's careers dept.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that LSE has the better reputation and higher entrance requirements by just a hair, though law degrees are largely self-taught anyway so it probably doesn't matter too much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.