Why don't more people become vegan Watch

im vegan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
far too many people eat meet which is harmful to our planet if more people went vegan surely it will help save the planet?
The Mogg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're one of those irritating vegans (one of the many) that exclaim how they're vegan every few minutes. Know how I know? You're name is "im vegan". But selfishly I like chicken too much to give it up
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a hard transition, I've been vegetarian for long but I still miss meat and chicken
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
People like meat.
ilovepolarbears
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it can be too expensive for a lot of people.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's boring
AliceV_647
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, for me it's because I struggle with food in general anyway and imposing further restrictions on myself would be a really really bad idea. Maybe a few years down the line if everything sorts itself out I'd consider it, but tbh I don't think I ever will be in that position... I am trying to keep to a more vegetarian diet though where possible as I'm conscious of the environmental impact, I just haven't cut anything out completely.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It's boring
This evening I fried an onion, half a pepper, some mushrooms, some red kidney beans, and some pasta sauce, put it all on toast, and devoured it. It was ****ing delicious. Boredom is subjective, to be fair, but I bet if I'd served it to you, you'd also have found it ****ing delicious.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
It's a hard transition, I've been vegetarian for long but I still miss meat and chicken
Well done, keep on keeping on!
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No offence but that sounds like one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever imagined eating
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
This evening I fried an onion, half a pepper, some mushrooms, some red kidney beans, and some pasta sauce, put it all on toast, and devoured it. It was ****ing delicious. Boredom is subjective, to be fair, but I bet if I'd served it to you, you'd also have found it ****ing delicious.
zerozero1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by im vegan)
far too many people eat meet which is harmful to our planet if more people went vegan surely it will help save the planet?
Too many temptations. its not easy straying of these industries with their marketing and product tasting/quality.

One day i will....... fo shooo
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
No offence but that sounds like one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever imagined eating
^ That sentiment is why parents make their children have ''no thank you'' bites. If you had tried it, you'd have loved it.
princessmaire80
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t eat a huge amount of red meat but I do need extra calcium (can’t take supplements) so there’s certain things I need to eat and drink is the nice answer.
The truthful answer is that militant vegans annoy me and anyone who tries to force their beliefs on me is going to make me do the opposite. And I ain’t giving up my Nando’s for anyone!!!
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve tried red kidney beans (disgusting), onions (disgusting), peppers (meh) and mushrooms (equally vile) separately. Putting all these ingredients on toast and covering it in sauce won’t magically make them delicious
^ That sentiment is why parents make their children have ''no thank you'' bites. If you had tried it, you'd have loved it.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can't do gluten. You're trying to kill me with that meal.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If we become vegan, then we are competing for plant based food with sheep (for example). I shoot the sheep eating my crops, what do I do with the Sheep? Might as well eat it. Pointless being a vegan, animals will still get killed and once they are killed I might as well make the most of it with a nice pie.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
I can't do gluten. You're trying to kill me with that meal.
Sure, but it still would have been tasty! XD

Just put it on some kind of gluten-free bread I guess? Nothing else has gluten.
Future Physics
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Meat is good for you if you stay away from processed meat and eat the real animal without all the chemicals they inject them with to help them grow faster though that is hard to find. I will never stop eating meat but I continue to make sure that I have a balanced and moderated diet which is the most important thing. You do not need to go on this vegen diet to live a healthier and happier life and I'm certainly never going to do it and I would ask you to stop forcing your agenda down on others because ultimately, this is a personal decision that the individual makes for their own personal benefit and not so that they can be part of some group.
The countryside
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I genuinely feel sad that we do kill animals and eat them but I still continue because its a habit / i have certain deficiencies. I don't think saying "there is nothing to eat" is an argument because there are loads of meals available on the web that are straight forward to follow. My boyfriend is an amazing cook and he also agrees with this.
liaente
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In most places, people rely on fast-food or microwave food because it's cheaper, and believe it or not chickens can be easily bred and are placed in restricted places - most likely called intensive poultry farming. Being vegan relies on limited foods, where it's quite difficult to come by. That would also be not eating fish and eggs, and that contains quite a lot of protein. We need a balanced diet, and for most it can be hard to adapt it in a vegan-way. Most people I know who are vegans spend a lot of money and time researching and buying vegan items. I once bought vegan tortillas and they cost 6 pounds as opposed to non-vegan which was 2,50 pounds. There's also this marketing procedure where making foods with gelatin and sugar are addictive and tasty for many people, and they just got used to it and can't stop. So the transition is quite difficult as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.59%
No I am happy with my course choice (526)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.35%

Watched Threads