Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I usually get about 45mpg mixed on the standard 95 stuff by when my dad did a few round trips to manchester and back on the 98 stuff he seemed to get about 65mpg.

Do you think it really makes that much of a difference?

I don't drive faster than the limit, and he says he had trouble slipping the clutch!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it has a slight improvement, maybe an extra 20 - 30 miles per full tank of fuel, but not 20 mpg improvement.

ReputationRep:
    He probably drives more economically than you, as it shouldn't give a 20mpg improvement

ReputationRep:
    It'll give two or three miles more per thank in my experience. Not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Is that in your golf though?

It makes a big difference in my dads Audi, bugger all in my Vauxhall

ReputationRep:
    Yah, i think if it is a performance engine it may make a difference in economy and performance, but anything else there is no point.

In the E Type, it has to run on 105 octane, that is V-Power + Octane Booster. Is bloody expensive but it would be even more expensive to run on unleaded.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how the E-Type works, but in the Audi, if you're using 95 petrol, it can tell and automatically detunes the engine. You need 97 or above to get the full output.

ReputationRep:
    98 seemed to give an improvement to how my supra felt and SEEMED to perform, but it made naff all difference to economy really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Catbert)
    I dont know how the E-Type works, but in the Audi, if you're using 95 petrol, it can tell and automatically detunes the engine. You need 97 or above to get the full output.
    It is definately not that clever!

It is just where it is an old car and used to run on leaded fuel which had a higher octane than unleaded fuel. To get the most out of the car in performance and economy you need to feed it high octane unleaded fuel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yah, i think if it is a performance engine it may make a difference in economy and performance, but anything else there is no point.

In the E Type, it has to run on 105 octane, that is V-Power + Octane Booster. Is bloody expensive but it would be even more expensive to run on unleaded.

Strange, I thought it'd be running on 4 star!

Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Strange, I thought it'd be running on 4 star!

Oh well.
    You can't get it anymore from around here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

Really?

Wow, around here you can still get it!
    Used to work at Sainsburys petrol station, and we sold it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    Really?

Wow, around here you can still get it!
    Used to work at Sainsburys petrol station, and we sold it!
    Nope, we have checked every petrol station around us and no one stocks it, not even the independents!

V-Power and Castrol Valvemaster does fine, but 4 Star would be easier...

ReputationRep:
    You can get a lead mixture that goes into normal petrol, you can make your own 4 or 5 star. But it isn't cheap

http://tetraboost.com/

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, the E-Type has new heads that can take unleaded, just it needs the higher octane to run properly, thats all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Considering there's only around 60 garages selling leaded petrol, that's hardly suprising.
    http://www.leadedpetrol.co.uk/list.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Catbert)
    Is that in your golf though?

It makes a big difference in my dads Audi, bugger all in my Vauxhall
    Yeah it's in the Golf. To be fair, the engine consideres 95 to be premium as it will take 91 as a minimum!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.