Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

• View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

ReputationRep:
    So, we pick up our pre-release tomorrow. Could we possibly get anything as incredible as sewers and sanitation? I think not.

Is anyone else strangely looking forward to seeing what we get?

ReputationRep:
    Well January's exam was on the partition in 1947 India and the other pack about the Muslims pilgrimage to Mecca. You never know! I got a C on that exam... so.... no am not looking forward to it :P lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakespeare1)
    Well January's exam was on the partition in 1947 India and the other pack about the Muslims pilgrimage to Mecca. You never know! I got a C on that exam... so.... no am not looking forward to it :P lol
    Oh no! Well, I'm sure you'll do really well in this one! They can't give us two bad topics in a row, that's the... rules...

ReputationRep:
    an unsaid rule that is :P

ReputationRep:
    What exam did you do? I've never seen that in my life!:p: I'm sure you meant to say the 1812 Overture and the Hajj

Grr...I'm kinda excited about what could come up - I'm thinking the Olympics (if it hasn't already been done, due to the 2012 Olympics and the Olympics this Summer in Beijing). I had no interest at all in the two booklets we got in January and thus got a D in the exam I need an A altogether too!#zomg#

Good luck you guys!

ReputationRep:
    omg your right!!! it was the 1812 overdone and the Hajj. The partition of india in 1947 was for english lit! i got them mixed up. sooo sorry!!!!

ReputationRep:
    praying that its on at least a VAGUELY interesting topic... guess we'll all know by this time tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:
    omg your right!!! it was the 1812 overdone and the Hajj. The partition of india in 1947 was for english lit! i got them mixed up. sooo sorry!!!!
    It's alright - it gave me a laugh:p: I was like....#zomg# I didn't see that pack!:p:

ReputationRep:
    im resitting it... in jan i did the Hajj one and i though i did ok but ended up with a D
    i duno what went wrong there lol
    hopefully its on a good subject, i don't think im gonna revise much on it though... probably the odd read before bed every night!
    I dont need much improvement on the paper, i can get a C on ENB6 and get my grade for uni hopefully, but if i did improve it would be a bonus

ReputationRep:
    I got a B...i'm not resitting...but good luc...it will be fine. I onlt read the packs like once...its alll goood!! Pin down your audience...loads of marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsill1)
    I got a B...i'm not resitting...but good luc...it will be fine. I onlt read the packs like once...its alll goood!! Pin down your audience...loads of marks!
    Can I ask, what did you do when you were reading through the packs? Nobody seems to tell me on here, and I'm not sure whether I'm doing it wrong

ReputationRep:
    just read through them and highlight bits and make small notes. I also make charts like.... those with images... A,B,C those with detail about X : C,F,D, etc. just make the most of the blank pages

ReputationRep:
    Also can I just ask if it is actually possible to get a decent mark... as I my entire English class did the exam in January and no one seemed to get better than a C. Is there any type of question that is easier to get marks on?? like a radio script for instance?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do the exam in January but it just seems that you have to really focus on tone and style and stick to it explicitly.

Is there a limit to how much annotation you can do? I usually go crazy with the hilighting!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in the Jan exam. I hardly revised either - my definition of revising for that exam was just highlighting a few sentences! I'd recommend doing a magazine article or something. I know plenty people who did the GCSE textbook question and got bad grades, I didn't choose that question on purpose because I thought 'if I don't know the info then how can I write it in a textbook and learn it somebody else?!'.

Good luck people! Hope the packs are better then Jan :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wish my school were offered ENB5 in January! Never mind though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle-x)
    I got an A in the Jan exam. I hardly revised either - my definition of revising for that exam was just highlighting a few sentences! I'd recommend doing a magazine article or something. I know plenty people who did the GCSE textbook question and got bad grades, I didn't choose that question on purpose because I thought 'if I don't know the info then how can I write it in a textbook and learn it somebody else?!'.

Good luck people! Hope the packs are better then Jan :p:
    thanks for the advice, just wondering why you'd recommend a magazine article in particular? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairylight)
    thanks for the advice, just wondering why you'd recommend a magazine article in particular? thanks
    I just found it much easier to find the particular audience and what type of language I needed to use etc. In my exam, I basically just gave an account of what takes place at the Hajj - which was incredibly easy as all I needed to do what reword what was already given to me in the packs

ReputationRep:
    ahh right i understand what u mean, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    I really dont understand this module. No wonder it's being scrapped next year.
    Got an A in january, but it was the most boring piece i've ever written! Boy, I was really suprised. People in my class tried to make the texts somewhat more lively, but ended up with C's and D's One girl, who only dropped 4 UMS last year got a D because she made an apparently racist mark for one of the Hajj questions!
    The best thing I did was just choosing the pack that interested me, to not waste time by sorting out the data from both packs. I read one paragraph of the Hajj and gave up.
    Re-organise the material in a way which you can easily refer to in the exam (I wrote a detailed timeline on the back of a page for the Napolean one, along with quite an extensive list of what should be in the conclusion...) Another thing that my teacher suggested was make some notes in the pack about the audience/genre. For example, I wrote the headings Adult, Child, Book, Newspaper, advert, transcript etc, with relevant page numbers for information that matched each.

Just be boring and just rewrite what you've got in a different order, copying the stylistics of something you know very well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.