Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Just asking for a bit of advice.Sorry if there is anything similar on the board but I did have a look around. Sorry if this seems really long winded

Background
    Basically I play Badminton for my school and club a lot training and competitions are involved.But over the last few months I've realised that my endurance throughout the duration of the games is pretty poor.

Plan
    I've just joined up with my local gym because I plan to lose some weight as well as imrpove my endurance and I've got 11 weeks holiday before I start school and my competitions again.

This is the routine I'm planning at the moment:
    Cycle up to the leisure centre (30 min ride)
    Go for a swim depending on how busy the pool is (30 mins)
    Then workout (1-2 hours)
    Cycle back home (30 min ride)

My question
    My question is does anyone recommend any thing to improve endurance or any specific machines to use and how long for.I know the treadmill is an obvious one but I can't run for long on them because I'm not the best at long distance running.
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    I've never played badminton anymore seriously than PE at school, so not very. But it looks to me you only need speed over 5-10m. That plans almost 4 hours alltogether! but i guess the 1hrs cycling and swimming isnt very intense, you should still cut down on the workout time. It would be best if you swam on different days to keep the time down you only want to be at the gym for 1-1/2hours MAX.

If you want stuff like pylometrics, HIIT and farklet will help with sprint endurance

Not everyone is good at endurance stuff; take sprinters for instance. But the swimming you mentioned doing I found was great for that. Don't overdo it all at once though, build up your endurance by gradually adding to the amount of lengths you do each time you go, when you feel ready.
    Swimming's good because you use more than just your legs/arms muscle wise so is a good whole-body exersize.

uth =]

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big fan or player of badminton so bear with me but how long and intense is each game/match? Training for 3.5+ hours is a waste of your time and effort if in reality each match only lasts 1 hour. Plus, even if your matches are 3.5+hours long, your training could be put to much better use to yield the same if not better results in the less time.

You want to be doing sport specific training, that way you're going to gain the most fitness, strength, flexibility, agility, etc wise. Yes, swimming and cycling is great for general fitness, but when do you use such skills on a badminton court? You would be much better off practising shuttle runs, interval training, sprints, HIIT, etc, that way you build speed, strength and endurance where you need it.

I play tennis, which is in some ways similar, but it is lots of stop and start rapid movements, not continuously plodding along on a treadmil or doing laps in a pool. To best replicate this intervals training/HIIT is the way to go, it improves your speed, your strength, your fitness, etc on the court, while also improving your endurance. Doing hours of steady state cardio is not going to bring the same benefits. 3 workouts of 15-30mins a week of HIIT is going to be a good start, the onus is on you working hard and putting lots of effort in for short periods of time.

Resistance training and plyometrics as said already would also improve your speed, strength and power, something definitely to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    I'm not a big fan or player of badminton so bear with me but how long and intense is each game/match? Training for 3.5+ hours is a waste of your time and effort if in reality each match only lasts 1 hour. Plus, even if your matches are 3.5+hours long, your training could be put to much better use to yield the same if not better results in the less time.

You want to be doing sport specific training, that way you're going to gain the most fitness, strength, flexibility, agility, etc wise. Yes, swimming and cycling is great for general fitness, but when do you use such skills on a badminton court? You would be much better off practising shuttle runs, interval training, sprints, HIIT, etc, that way you build speed, strength and endurance where you need it.

I play tennis, which is in some ways similar, but it is lots of stop and start rapid movements, not continuously plodding along on a treadmil or doing laps in a pool. To best replicate this intervals training/HIIT is the way to go, it improves your speed, your strength, your fitness, etc on the court, while also improving your endurance. Doing hours of steady state cardio is not going to bring the same benefits. 3 workouts of 15-30mins a week of HIIT is going to be a good start, the onus is on you working hard and putting lots of effort in for short periods of time.

Resistance training and plyometrics as said already would also improve your speed, strength and power, something definitely to consider.
    I'm not too sure about this. I think if the sport is done in a 70% aerobic state and 30% anaerobic then you should train at the required intensity to stimulate each system at a similar percentage. I agree with the running though, if you're going to be playing a sport where you run, you're best bet is to make your main cardio activity running.

If it takes you a 30 minute cycle to get down to your gym its probably not worth your time going there. Especially if you're just going for the cardio machines. Dont you have a field or somewhere you can run closer? If you wanted to train everyday Id do something like an hour run 3 days a week and HIIT 3 days a week with a rest day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    I'm not too sure about this. I think if the sport is done in a 70% aerobic state and 30% anaerobic then you should train at the required intensity to stimulate each system at a similar percentage.
    That doesnt make sense as to why she should train for 4 hours. Something like HIIT can produce that split if thats what your looking for. Im pretty sure that badminton will be mostly aneorbic because its just short bursts in a small area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    If it takes you a 30 minute cycle to get down to your gym its probably not worth your time going there.
    Hi,thanks for the response
    There is a gym nearer but the facilities are crap thats why I go to the other gym

30 Mins is me taking my time to ride there tbh.I've riden there faster than that but I prefer taking my time when riding.

Also there are no fields near me and I'm not keen on outdoor running tbh.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    That doesnt make sense as to why she should train for 4 hours. Something like HIIT can produce that split if thats what your looking for. Im pretty sure that badminton will be mostly aneorbic because its just short bursts in a small area
    I was just referring to the statement itself. A sprinter only runs for 10 seconds but I doubt they just train for that amount of time...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.