MSc Management: UCL v Nottingham Watch

dingo13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have offers from Manchester, UCL and Notts for Msc Management. Which is the best one to choose, particuarly with regards to career opportunities in management/business consulting?

From what I've read on TSR UCL is a target uni for this^, Notts a semi-target and Manchester a semi but not as a reknown a semi as Notts. Based on that UCL would appear to come out on top but I did wonder how signficantly better it'd be in terms of consulting/business career prospects and networking etc, as ultimately for the masters to be as worth it as it can be the most important factors are its consulting/business career prospects and networking?

The prospect of going out of LDN for uni is appealing but I don't want to do it at the expense of my future
dingo13
Rep:
?
bump
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dingo13)
I have offers from Manchester, UCL and Notts for Msc Management. Which is the best one to choose, particuarly with regards to career opportunities in management/business consulting?

From what I've read on TSR UCL is a target uni for this^, Notts a semi-target and Manchester a semi but not as a reknown a semi as Notts. Based on that UCL would appear to come out on top but I did wonder how signficantly better it'd be in terms of consulting/business career prospects and networking etc, as ultimately for the masters to be as worth it as it can be the most important factors are its consulting/business career prospects and networking?

The prospect of going out of LDN for uni is appealing but I don't want to do it at the expense of my future
It depends what you want from a Uni.

Career prospects: UCL is more well known brand name. Experience & personal achievement is always more important than what Uni you go to, and i wouldn't say going to Notts or Manchester will be at the expense of your future, but merely some employers will recognise UCL is a slightly more prestigious. But what Uni you choose won't affect your job application or interview skills, or ability to impress once your in work this is down to you, and how much effort you put in.

Cost, nightlife, University campus, modules, course structure...

Only you can decide what is important to you, and weigh out the pros/cons of each Uni
dingo13
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
It depends what you want from a Uni.

Career prospects: UCL is more well known brand name. Experience & personal achievement is always more important than what Uni you go to, and i wouldn't say going to Notts or Manchester will be at the expense of your future, but merely some employers will recognise UCL is a slightly more prestigious. But what Uni you choose won't affect your job application or interview skills, or ability to impress once your in work this is down to you, and how much effort you put in.

Cost, nightlife, University campus, modules, course structure...

Only you can decide what is important to you, and weigh out the pros/cons of each Uni
Thanks for your post. I think UCL's London advantage and seemingly strong careers service means that I really ought to pick that. Notts would have a great student life exp which would definitely be v enjoyable but I don't think I can pass up on UCL's advantages just for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.79%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.17%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
56.78%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.27%

Watched Threads