The Student Room Group

Why do women still use birth control for protective sex?

Birth control is used for a variety of reasons but I don't understand why women rely on birth control for protective sex. It ruins your hormones and everything natural about you. I know some pills work well for women and that is great but it ruins your natural level of hormone production not to mention the vast side effects.

I'm not speaking about women who rely on birth control due to heavy periods ect that is a completely different topic so don't refer to this in your answer.

I don't understand why people disturb their natural hormone production rather than use condoms for protective sex. I'm also shocked their partners would allow them to harm their body this way, my boyfriend would never want me to take the pill and disturb my hormone production just for sex.

Thoughts?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The countryside
Birth control is used for a variety of reasons but I don't understand why women rely on birth control for protective sex. It ruins your hormones and everything natural about you. I know some pills work well for women and that is great but it ruins your natural level of hormone production not to mention the vast side effects.

I'm not speaking about women who rely on birth control due to heavy periods ect that is a completely different topic so don't refer to this in your answer.

I don't understand why people disturb their natural hormone production rather than use condoms for protective sex. I'm also shocked their partners would allow them to harm their body this way, my boyfriend would never want me to take the pill and disturb my hormone production just for sex.

Thoughts?

People can feel more comfortable using hormonal methods as they can be seen as more reliable than barrier methods.
I took the pill for two years before stopping because of the side effects getting to be too much for me but i felt comfortable in that if a barrier method failed i felt comfortable in our relationship that if i was pregnant that we'd manage somehow, but many people would not be able to make that choice and want to be in control of contraception themselves.
Original post by claireestelle
People can feel more comfortable using hormonal methods as they can be seen as more reliable than barrier methods.
I took the pill for two years before stopping because of the side effects getting to be too much for me but i felt comfortable in that if a barrier method failed i felt comfortable in our relationship that if i was pregnant that we'd manage somehow, but many people would not be able to make that choice and want to be in control of contraception themselves.

Don't condoms and pills have a very similar success rate?
Yes I've heard the side effects are awful and I think overall pills are quite invasive.
Because condoms can split?
Original post by barnetlad
Because condoms can split?

This is really rare though and usually because the man has chosen a condom size which is too big for him or too small.
Yes I've heard the side effects are awful and I think overall pills are quite invasive.

perfect use is a couple of percent difference i believe but in reality people don't use things perfectly so i think condoms are 80 something percent in typical use. I just think people should make the best choice that is comfortable with them, if it wasn't for the side effects i'd have continued with the pill but i'm limited to progesterone only ones and none of them particularly agreed with me.
Original post by claireestelle
perfect use is a couple of percent difference i believe but in reality people don't use things perfectly so i think condoms are 80 something percent in typical use. I just think people should make the best choice that is comfortable with them, if it wasn't for the side effects i'd have continued with the pill but i'm limited to progesterone only ones and none of them particularly agreed with me.

Yes its up to to them at the end of the day and what ever works best for them but I've always found the pill to be so invasive. I think they have the same success rate but with condoms some guys may choose condoms which are too big or too small so that causes issues.
Does the fact that it ruins your hormone levels bother you? because obviously you may experience a loss of sex drive and then it kind of defeats the purpose of the pill used solely for protection if that makes sense.
Original post by mpaprika
maybe their boyfriends don't want to use a condom because ''it feels better'' so the woman has to ruin her hormones because she doesn't want a baby

Yes I actually thought this could be the reason. That is so mean :frown: because the woman goes through a load of changes and suffers side effects most of the time. There are good condoms out there which are really thin and they don't make a difference in terms of feeling.
Yes its up to to them at the end of the day and what ever works best for them but I've always found the pill to be so invasive. I think they have the same success rate but with condoms some guys may choose condoms which are too big or too small so that causes issues.
Does the fact that it ruins your hormone levels bother you? because obviously you may experience a loss of sex drive and then it kind of defeats the purpose of the pill used solely for protection if that makes sense.

No it didn't bother me, until i had a ridiculously long period and couldn't put up with it anymore. Actually since stopping the pill my cycle came back quickly and is less painful than it was beforehand so seems to have done me no harm whatsoever.

No. Hormonal birth control is a lot more effective, especially long-acting contraception like the implant and the mirena coil. The copper coil is also very effective but they cause heavy bleeding and pain and are not an option for many people.
This is really rare though and usually because the man has chosen a condom size which is too big for him or too small.

It is not rare... Ask any pharmacist who gives out emergency contraception
Original post by black tea
No. Hormonal birth control is a lot more effective, especially long-acting contraception like the implant and the mirena coil. The copper coil is also very effective but they cause heavy bleeding and pain and are not an option for many people.

In terms of statistics they are fairly the same. Women also forget to take the pill and I know loads of women who had the copper coil including my mother who still got pregnant with it lmao :rofl:
I think they all have bad and good things about them but the bad things mainly stem from a lack of care for e.g wrong size condoms / forgetting to take your pill.
In terms of statistics they are fairly the same. Women also forget to take the pill and I know loads of women who had the copper coil including my mother who still got pregnant with it lmao :rofl:
I think they all have bad and good things about them but the bad things mainly stem from a lack of care for e.g wrong size condoms / forgetting to take your pill.

They are not the same in terms of typical use statistics. And yes, some women do forget to take the pill, hence the longer acting methods are safer. No method protects 100% from pregnancy, but condoms are the least effective when you look at typical use.
1) not relevant to this thread
2) there are non latex condoms
3) fair enough
4) understandable i guess especially if they are into one night stands

It is easier but I guess it depends on the type of relationship you are in as well. its not really difficult as such if you are in a committed relationship.
Original post by Interea
I find the pill has actually made everything much better for me, it saves having to carry around a condom, saves the stress of it potentially splitting, and also having my hormones "controlled" means I'm no longer getting all the crazy mood and acne fluctuations. I don't see what the issue with controlling your hormones is, I don't see it as trying to "disturb their natural hormone production" - all medicines alter things, that's just how they work? It's not going to kill me to have my hormone levels altered to save me a ton of stress.

But that is what it does. it affects your hormone production. Many women suffer from a loss of sex drive / weight gain through taking the pill.
No not all medicine acts the same, pills and other hormone affecting methods directly affect your hormone production so you can see the changes fairly quickly.

I didn't know carrying a condom was difficult lmao! :u:
But that is what it does. it affects your hormone production. Many women suffer from a loss of sex drive / weight gain through taking the pill.
No not all medicine acts the same, pills and other hormone affecting methods directly affect your hormone production so you can see the changes fairly quickly.

I didn't know carrying a condom was difficult lmao! :u:

Eating alters hormone production... The time of day alters hormone production... Lots of things alter hormone production!
And many women also gain lots of benefits from taking the pill. I'm not quite sure why you are so against hormonal contraception - you don't have to take it if you don't want to.
Original post by black tea
Eating alters hormone production... The time of day alters hormone production... Lots of things alter hormone production!
And many women also gain lots of benefits from taking the pill. I'm not quite sure why you are so against hormonal contraception - you don't have to take it if you don't want to.

Because I have a right to an opinion? I have covered those benefits if you read my thread.
Original post by Interea
Yeah that's why you have to have a checkup after your first 3 months to make sure you aren't getting undesired side effects, and then they can switch you to a different pill or try another method. They don't force you to suffer the side effects if you get them, and they aren't as common as you seem to be making out once your body gets more used to the pill (i.e. after a few months at most).

I'm not saying all medicines alter your hormones, I'm saying you take a medicine expecting it to change the thing it has to change to have the desired effect. Is taking antibiotics unnaturally altering your body's ability to defend against disease, or are you okay with that?

And carrying a condom isn't difficult, it's just nice to know if the mood hits me I'll never be caught off guard haha :tongue:

This is why my boyfriend always carries a condom in his back pocket because of his raging h girlfriend.... just kidding :colondollar:
Because I have a right to an opinion? I have covered those benefits if you read my thread.

I still don't see the point you are trying to make.
Just because there can be side effects doesn't mean everyone suffers from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending