evelynpark
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In a question, i have to tick the features that a HIV virus contains, one of the options is 'enzyme molecules'
In the CGP book it clearly states "HIV doesn't have the equipment (such as enzymes and ribosomes)..."
yet the feature for enzyme molecules is ticked on the mark scheme
pls help
naem071
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HIV has reverse transcriptase, which is an enzyme, that once injected into the host cell produces DNA from viral RNA. I'm not sure why your textbook states that it lacks enzyme molecules, possibly to emphasise its acellular so will not undergo typical metabolic reactions thereby not having those typical enzymes to catalyse them.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The AIDS virus, like other viruses, does not have the ability to synthesize proteins on its own; viruses need to use the DNA, mRNA etc of the host cell (here human T lymphocytes) to make its proteins - however, viruses have a DNA OR RNA core with a protein coat - some of the proteins in the coat can be enzymes. HIV is a retrovirus (retro = back or behind as in retrosternal chest pain of angina = behind the sternum (breast bone)) because it performs its transcription in reverse = RNA to DNA NOT DNA to RNA). One of the nine genes of HIV is called the pol gene, and one enzyme this gene codes for is reverse transcriptase, so YES, HIV (like other viruses) do have (albeit very few) enzymes.

M
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%