Checking mirrors - appropriate when? Watch

Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My driving instructor just says "don't ask me quesitons like that, check it so it's safe that's all you need to do". But it doesn't help without a ballpark figure, some kind of guideline. I know some people are told to stringently check mirrors in certain orders for certain things. Ok so is this correct:

Before braking - rear view
After having turned (at a junction) - rear view
Pulling away - rear view and left mirror, in case of cyclsits etc
Turning left - rear view and left mirror, in case of cyclists etc
Turning right - rear view and right, in case of people overtaking etc
Left at a roundabout - rear view and right... cyclists etc
Straight on - not sure on this, rear and left?
Right at roundabout - rear view and right, just to check whats to the right of you

Or is this all a load of crap and you check all mirrors before you do anything? i.e. one mate said do the 'rainbow' thing, look left mirror, rear, and right before doing anything. But this seems over the top to me?

Wahts the correct procedure?
claireythepinkfairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my instructor says always check you mirrors when you change speed or direction
i tend to:
Before braking - rear view and right
After having turned (at a junction) - rear view and right
Pulling away - rear view and left mirror, in case of cyclsits if from a traffic lights. if its from the side of the road i check my blind spots as well
Turning left - rear view and left
Turning right - rear view and right,
Left at a roundabout - rear view and left
Straight on at a round about: rear and right
Right at roundabout - rear view and right
tends to be whatever direction your are moving in use always use rear and then the miror on the side your moving in i.e right mirror when moving right left mirror when moving left.
when just going along a road i check my mirrors about every 10-15s and rear and right but on a dual carriage way more often
VengefulSpoon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If overtaking a stationary vehicle, check rear mirrors. That nearly failed me.
jomo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think if you're changing speed or direction you should be checking your mirrors out. I've been driving a year so my mirror checks have lapsed some what (my driving instructor also did like to call me when I was learning "Jo No Mirrors" but that's not the issue here...) but still, especially in your test, just check your mirrors for everything - they're not going to take points off you for checking too much and sometimes, it really can be the difference between hitting someone and not.
-revilo-
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
everytime you speed up or slow down.
milow
Report 10 years ago
My instructor said to make sure you really over pronounce turning your head to look so the examiner knows u are looking and he cant say it was just a glance. Also to check all 3 after each big breath so you are constantly checking
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rear View (RV)
Left Wing (LW)
Right Wing (RW)

Braking- RV, RW
Pulling Away- RV, RW
Turning Left at Junction/Roundabout- RV, LW
Turning Right at Junction/Roundabout- RV, RW
Straight on at Roundabout- RV, RW
Changing Speed (Slowing Down/Speeding Up)- RV, RW

And always remember, New Road, New Mirrors- always check RV, RW after entering a new road. And clairythepinkfairy is right, I tend to check pretty regularly while I'm just tootling along, too.

EDIT: Oh, and about the 'rainbow' thing. Before you pull away, full observation is required. Back window, left back window, front back window and LW, RV and front, right front window, right back window.
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dont forget your blind spot checks as well.
Reflexive
Rep:
?
Am I right in thinking blind spot is appropriate only when moving left or right? i.e. if braking, check RW and RW but not right blind spot as well (execessive?)
Sports Racer
Report 10 years ago
Checking mirrors usually comes in pairs i.e. Rear-view and a side mirror.

Check your Rear-view fairly often while you're driving.

Check your Rear-view + Right Side every time you do anything (including braking and starting (from traffic lights/zebra crossings))(except when a left turn is coming up).

Check your Rear-view + Right Side + blind spot when overtaking/lane change.

Do your all-round observation when pulling out and doing maneuvers.
claireythepinkfairy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reflexive)
Am I right in thinking blind spot is appropriate only when moving left or right? i.e. if braking, check RW and RW but not right blind spot as well (execessive?)
yeh i only check my blind spots when moving off from side of the road, moving into lane, entering a dual carriageway, overtaking.
Cowberg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Rainbow", that's so damn cute.

My Driving instructor would just tell me "Do a sweep". His car was exeptionally clean though, so I guess some people must have taken him literally.
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reflexive)

Before braking - rear view
After having turned (at a junction) - rear view
Pulling away - rear view and left mirror, in case of cyclsits etc
Turning left - rear view and left mirror, in case of cyclists etc
Turning right - rear view and right, in case of people overtaking etc
Left at a roundabout - rear view and right... cyclists etc
Straight on - not sure on this, rear and left?
Right at roundabout - rear view and right, just to check whats to the right of you

Or is this all a load of crap and you check all mirrors before you do anything? i.e. one mate said do the 'rainbow' thing, look left mirror, rear, and right before doing anything. But this seems over the top to me?

Wahts the correct procedure?
Yeh that is basically it. The "rainbow" thing is the correct procedure to do when you indicate, definately. The examiners look for you looking left, to centre, to right (mirrors).

I barely look in my mirrors now that I've passed. When I'm over-taking or moving out I do, but definately not as rigorously as you do when you learn.
Reflexive
Rep:
?
I think some of the mirror checks are unneccesary, if I was left to my own devices I'm fairly sure I'd check them sufficiently to be safe. Obviously I'm trying to subvert this opinion until *after* my test!
sauce
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
whnever changing speed,direction,lane etc. Blind spot checks are pretty good when checking direction as well just in case. (especially on slip roads and changing on busy lanes)
gefmongoose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Something I haven't seen mentioned above is if moving right, check centre-right, if moving left, centre-left. I don't mean when turning, but when say overtaking a stationary car, or if the lane sweeps to the left.
Also, even if driving along a straight road, i'll periodically glance in centre /side mirros to see what cars are upto behind me.
gefmongoose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Slightly different from above, but when pulling away, i was always taught all-round obs i.e. left shoulder, left mirror, ahead, centre mirror, right mirror, right shoulder (just a sweep round), indicate if clear and pull out.
Also to add a bit more, if on a roundabout, i'll also check my left blind spot before pulling off at my exit.
MakingMoves
Report 10 years ago
Haha, I remember those days. When you had to look in the mirror for the sake of passing the driving examination. Nowadays, I'll only look in the mirror if I got something on my face.
rachd_22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Every tine you start, stop, change speed or direction. also every 7 seconds.
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rachd_22)
Every tine you start, stop, change speed or direction. also every 7 seconds.
Who told you every 7 seconds out of interest ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.84%
Leave (222)
20.16%

Watched Threads