Gender Neutral Bathrooms

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I know people want to remove male/female bathrooms and make them gender neutral, whereas others want to keep them male/female for whatever reason. To me I don't get why you can't just have 3 bathrooms (male, female and gender neutral) like to me this seems like a good solution. Women can chose to go in the female or gender neutral bathrooms and men can choose to go in the male or gender neutral bathrooms. (Non-binary/conforming people can also use the gender neutral bathrooms aswell) The only downside I can think of is that it costs more money
margiekins
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The only thing I could add is that some women may also have issue with sharing bathrooms with trans women, so therefore where do trans women go? In the female or gender neutral? I personally think trans women should be able to go in the womens bathrooms and I would not feel uncomfortable about that, but some women may not like that, therefore there would still be an issue as some people wont be able to use the gendered bathrooms that they identify with
oribtalpotato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i don't see why places have to remove bathrooms for men and woman as i would not feel comfortable in there and i'm sure others would feel same, it would allow for creeps to lurk also why should trans people get a whole new bathroom made for them as there are only 2 genders and the idea there is more is childish based on the fact that there are only 2 combinations of x and y chromosomes, xx being a girl and xy being a boy
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think many public places and work places could have gender neutral toilets, it's just a question of getting used to it. I've always though urinals are a pretty uncivilised invention. There are place where there are large crowds and a higher risk of inappropriate behaviour that would be more difficult. Tricky issue.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
We've male, female, and gender-neutral toilets at uni. I've never seen anyone go into the gender-neutral one honestly but I imagine someone must. My friend is MTF and always uses the women's bathrooms.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 9 months ago
username3941996
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by oribtalpotato)
i don't see why places have to remove bathrooms for men and woman as i would not feel comfortable in there and i'm sure others would feel same, it would allow for creeps to lurk also why should trans people get a whole new bathroom made for them as there are only 2 genders and the idea there is more is childish based on the fact that there are only 2 combinations of x and y chromosomes, xx being a girl and xy being a boy
What about intersex then??
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Any change will probably mean fewer toilets and so those with bowel or other conditions which cause incontinence could have to wait longer. The possibility of embarrassment puts some people off going to some places, so in effect restricting what they can do. This will make this worse.
Lkathryn08
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don’t see why not. I think it’s such a good way for trans people to feel comfortable, there’s no issue with which toilets to use. I feel like we don’t understand how something so simple can be such an traumatising issue for lgbtq people. They’re already questioning their identity and you want to put people in little boxes they don’t fit into.

I don’t understand people’s issues with gender neutral toilets. They’re all enclosed stalls, so not matter what gender they can’t see what you’re doing. I don’t want a random woman looking at my doing my business as much as a man and in enclosed stall there is no problem with either. The only bit where you can see people is the sinks, I don’t know what you’re doing there that you only want the other gender to see. I think it’s something so easy we can do to support lgbtq+ people and I’m here for it.
Last edited by Lkathryn08; 9 months ago
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you're a male go to a male bathroom if you're a female go into a female bathroom, what's the issue.
username4573738
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
When you need the toilet badly does it really matter what the sign says ...
oribtalpotato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i would say it depends on what chromosomes you have, if you have xx then your a girl of your xy then your a boy.
Ensorcell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you've got floor to ceiling stalls (and not flimsy plastic doors or urinals), it's probably easier to just have one big bathroom for everyone
brooke274
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Tbh the only problem I have with gender neutral toilets is that some boys are disgusting!
BugglyBo1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well TBH it is not an issue I care about, Lock yourself in a cubicle do your buisness and leave. Simple as
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I went into a female bathroom once simply because the cubicles in the guys' was full and I was about to p*ss myself. Got some weird looks ngl.

Good times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.09%
No (48)
21.82%
Not sure (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads