Why study science? Watch

Amir52
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, I'm doing an orientation for my children in a school helping them to select subjects for theirO levels and A levels. I'm done with the presentation and stuff. But this is a last minute plan, I want the science geeks to share their opinions for choosing Biology, Chemistry and Physics so that I can pick them and share them with the children. You know, it would be great, if the children could learn why people around the world choose science and it's importance.
Post your opinion in the thread, I'll choose the best ones. 👏
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I couldn't drop it - for me would just be deciding, "well, that's all I'll ever know about that topic". I remember seeing equations on documentaries (or on wikipedia) and thinking to myself, "someday I'll understand that". That's still the thought that goes through my head and it's probably why I've opted for physics at uni. I mean, this is about how things exist. We use maths to predict what happens, and it works.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Amir52)
So, I'm doing an orientation for my children in a school helping them to select subjects for theirO levels and A levels. I'm done with the presentation and stuff. But this is a last minute plan, I want the science geeks to share their opinions for choosing Biology, Chemistry and Physics so that I can pick them and share them with the children. You know, it would be great, if the children could learn why people around the world choose science and it's importance.
Post your opinion in the thread, I'll choose the best ones. 👏
Well for me, i actually enjoyed STEM (i think you should put maths in with the core natural sciences) and i wanted a technical job in the automotive sector, which requires an engineering degree, which requires maths and physics.

-But more generally, it helps you think in a sharp logical method.
-Opens lots of doors: want a job in consulting, medicine, energy, banking, public sector, academia, R&D, finance, corporate grad schemes, manufacturing, data science. Basically almost every sector hires STEM graduates.
-Higher average salary
-Its enjoyable

-Everything in the planet works in part due to STEM technologies/ developments. Food, Energy, Medicine, Transport, video games, internet. STEM builds the world everyone enjoys!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads