Turn on thread page Beta

I know this is a slightly strange thread, but i was just thinking...i mean, when i was about 10, i imagine myself at this age (nearly 18) to be extremely pretty, very very tall and slim with really long blonde hair....the reality is some what different though! Just thought it would be inyteresting to find out...

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd be a man.

Things just didn't work out that way, though.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, more or less.

Thought I'd be a little more taller than what I am right now.. but I'll live.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd be prettier, slimmer and more motivated.

ReputationRep:
    I hoped I'd be prettier, but ah well.

In other ways I excelled myself. I didn't think I'd be able to overcome my anxieties and become independent. Also, didn't think I'd make it to a top Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I expected to make it to 5'6 but haven't quite done it. Still, my family are all midgets so even this height was an achievement.

I think a younger me would be disappointed if she saw me today. I think I would have expected more from myself on the creativity front. I don't know if those expectations were unrealistic but they will stay there until I make something I'm happy with. I also expected myself to be more of a slut, and would be very surprised that I stayed in a such a long term relationship.

ReputationRep:
    i thought i'd be taller, smarter, more sensible. my dad always expected me to go oxford or cambridge but then being a teenager happened. i kinda always like the idea of ucl though
    i always thought i'd never smoke, drink or take drugs. etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    When I was little I said that I would never drink, do any drugs, drive... I was wrong about those things.
    I didn't think my tastes would change much either, but I have completely different tastes now to what I had a year ago, let alone 5 years ago. (Before 5 years ago it doesn't really count).
    In the past I imagined myself knowing so much more, having achieved so many more things, being able to play so many more instruments... I think I am a bit of a failure compared to myself when I was little... I always used to be so very behind on a social level, but one of the more intelligent, academic and creative. Now I am average in both respects, I got what I wanted and it is no longer what I want.
    I never thought sports would interest me at all, when I was little my dad took me to a football training thing for children and when I was told I was playing midfield, I stood in the centre of the pitch for the whole of the game refusing to believe anyone who told me I was allowed to move. Now I am disappointed when my friends don't want to play football on a Sunday afternoon because I have a desire to run around like a lunatic because it gives me a sense of having done something.

People change, plans change, desires change - usually as a reflection of what one already has.

Just a footnote to add a bit of ironic humour: when I was young I was the first boy I knew to be interested in girls, I wanted a girlfriend when everyone else was still saying "eurghhhh, girls", and I would try and kiss all the girls in my class (this was primary school, just to put it into perspective)... now I am guy who most lacks confidence in that department out of all of my friends. Haha, my desires haven't changed in that department, but my ability to act on them severely dropped at some point.

Wow... that was a long post.

ReputationRep:
    I'm better!

ReputationRep:
    yeah! disney put those ideals into my head
    i thought by 18 id look like this except less fish like http://www.pixiepalace.com/wp-conten...tlemermaid.jpg

instead, i look like this: http://flickr.com/photos/blainekendall/370060201/

haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I'm better!
    Just stole my exact words...

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 4 inches shorter, and 2 stone heavier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_pixie)
    I know this is a slightly strange thread, but i was just thinking...i mean, when i was about 10, i imagine myself at this age (nearly 18) to be extremely pretty, very very tall and slim with really long blonde hair....the reality is some what different though! Just thought it would be inyteresting to find out...
    Why on earth is this post warned?

ReputationRep:
    I kind of imagined myself getting into a top 20 university. So much for that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly how I reckoned - I'm still not getting laid and failing school

Why is the OP warned? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was supposed to be an Oxbridge candidate.
    Only got myself to blame, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    No. I imagined i would have the best grades and a really good job by now. because i used to have excellent grades etc. but oh well. my lifes still great .

ReputationRep:
    In some ways I've done far better than I thought I would and in others not as great, but I'm working on them! It's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, I thought I'd be happier though. :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.