2020 Teach First Official Applicants Thread Watch

zeellis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mashpole)
Hi! I got an offer today for Secondary Geography in the North West, my assessment was on 06/08

edit: this was supposed to be a reply to someone else but feel free to reply if you also got an offer for North West geog!
Congratulations! You heard back quickly. I'm hoping for North West Biology, but only had my development centre yesterday, so I won't be hearing for a while yet!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
arco1989
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve got my fingers crossed we know by the end of next week 🤞🏻
arco1989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mashpole)
Hi! I got an offer today for Secondary Geography in the North West, my assessment was on 06/08

edit: this was supposed to be a reply to someone else but feel free to reply if you also got an offer for North West geog!
Well done on your offer. You must be over the moon. Did they ring you or email? That’s 8 days so fingers crossed we won’t have to wait the full 14 days either
Passionprimary
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was also offered a place yesterday via telephone (1week /5 working days after the AC). However I am disappointed I applied for primary and I was offered secondary. I guess the primary places have been offered out already. Which is so disappointing as it said there were vacancies available when I booked my assessment centre. I have no plans to teach secondary (or train and swop at a later date). It is my absolute dream to teach primary, i feel crushed, like the opportunity have been given to me then snatched away at the same time 😢
Last edited by Passionprimary; 1 week ago
AnaGe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Got my offer to teach Geography in London! Good luck everyone
zeellis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Passionprimary)
I was also offered a place yesterday via telephone (1week /5 working days after the AC). However I am so upset I applied for primary and I was offered secondary. I guess the primary places have been offered out already. Which is so disappointing as it said there were vacancies available when I booked my assessment centre. I have no plans to teach secondary (or train and swop at a later date). It is my absolute dream to teach primary, i feel crushed, like the opportunity have been given to me then snatched away at the same time 😢
I was told on the phone that you can still go into primary after teaching secondary. It's much harder to go from teaching primary to secondary than it is the other way around. Honestly, if you're super passionate about teaching primary, I'd suggest that you accepted the offer and taught secondary for the two years. There's no obligation to continue teaching secondary. I'm so sorry you didn't get the offer you wanted, I can imagine you're feeling really mixed at the moment!
arco1989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow so many offers. Well done everyone. Can you move forward to the next steps like the CKA as soon as you have your offer? Or does that come later?

I’ve also heard it’s possible to go from secondary to primary.
Passionprimary
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was told the same as well but my passion is in training and working in primary not secondary. My previous experience also lies in primary education so I know the curriculum and all key stages very well. I do not wish to do the secondary route I wouldn't feel comfortable with the subject knowledge for the subject they have given me. Nor would I feel like I would stick the 2 years out doing secondary. I just know it is not for me. 😢
zeellis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was told the same as well but my passion is in training and working in primary not secondary. My previous experience also lies in primary education so I know the curriculum and all key stages very well. I do not wish to do the secondary route I wouldn't feel comfortable with the subject knowledge for the subject they have given me. Nor would I feel like I would stick the 2 years out doing secondary. I just know it is not for me. 😢
I'm so sorry you feel that way. I completely understand that this isn't what you prepared for. Have you had a call from the Teach First team yet? you could probably discuss your options with them.
Passionprimary
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I am awaiting to hear back from them to discuss further. I am limited on location as I have 2 primary school aged children myself and a mortgage so this doesn't help my situation either!
Del<3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is 5 working days looking like the general consensus then? Knowing my luck it'll be 3 weeks just for a rejection it's such an exciting process though! Sad to hear all of primary is given out, as that was my choice too, although I would be quite happy with secondary x
arco1989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Remember each area has a different quota for each area and subject. And if you are eligible to teach a subject that they struggle to fill they are more likely to give you that than primary, an area they don’t struggle to fill.
Del<3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by arco1989)
Remember each area has a different quota for each area and subject. And if you are eligible to teach a subject that they struggle to fill they are more likely to give you that than primary, an area they don’t struggle to fill.
At the end of the day, we are applying to teach first because we all have goals of addressing the greatest need. If that need is in a subject we didn't originally expect, you need to be prepared to step up and teach that. I don't really mind what I'm offered, so long as I'm doing my part to raise the educational stakes in the UK! Xx
Passionprimary
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Del<3)
At the end of the day, we are applying to teach first because we all have goals of addressing the greatest need. If that need is in a subject we didn't originally expect, you need to be prepared to step up and teach that. I don't really mind what I'm offered, so long as I'm doing my part to raise the educational stakes in the UK! Xx
With respect teaching primary and secondary are very different! An absolute stark contrast and if you had experience in either you would know this. It is as I feel in the best interest of the children how I have also based my decision I do not have a confident knowledge base in what they have offered me at secondary level. Therefore I would not feel confident to teach it. I would of expected my reasons to be respected on this group. Thank you.
arco1989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Passionprimary my response was to the person above. But I do agree with you. I think if you feel completely uncomfortable teaching secondary you would not only be doing an injustice to yourself but the students. I hope you can get them to change you to primary
zeellis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I am awaiting to hear back from them to discuss further. I am limited on location as I have 2 primary school aged children myself and a mortgage so this doesn't help my situation either!
That's really unfortunate. Hopefully, they'll sort it out for you!
Del<3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
With respect teaching primary and secondary are very different! An absolute stark contrast and if you had experience in either you would know this. It is as I feel in the best interest of the children how I have also based my decision I do not have a confident knowledge base in what they have offered me at secondary level. Therefore I would not feel confident to teach it. I would of expected my reasons to be respected on this group. Thank you.
Your reasons are respected and I wasnt trying to be rude, I was referring to subject and not age group, as I was replying to the comment about subject and areas. I do have experience in both and I agree they are very different, and I wasn't directing anything at yourself. I do hope you can alter your offer to something you are more passionate about x
Jblack1402
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was also offered a place yesterday via telephone (1week /5 working days after the AC). However I am disappointed I applied for primary and I was offered secondary. I guess the primary places have been offered out already. Which is so disappointing as it said there were vacancies available when I booked my assessment centre. I have no plans to teach secondary (or train and swop at a later date). It is my absolute dream to teach primary, i feel crushed, like the opportunity have been given to me then snatched away at the same time 😢
hey,

Can I please ask where you applied for location wise? I am hoping to teach primary (I have my assessment centre at the beginning of October) and I have ties to my location because of my mortgage!

So sorry that it hasn't worked out the way you wanted! Hopefully you can get it sorted!
rmelling07
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I heard back on the 6th working day. The recruitment team where really helpful and gave me feedback. I got an offer for secondary English but just competing the next stage of my application.
zeellis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rmelling07)
I heard back on the 6th working day. The recruitment team where really helpful and gave me feedback. I got an offer for secondary English but just competing the next stage of my application.
Congratulations! You must be so happy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%