Birth control Watch

elouise1453
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m not sure if, as a form of protection, I should go on the pill and use condoms, or whether just using a condom alone would be enough. Personally, I would rather have both, and my boyfriend agrees, but after having a few (very awkward) conversations with my mum, she said she doesn’t want me ‘pumped full of hormones’, (she’s a cancer nurse, and believes that the pill can increase the development of some cancers for certain women.) She’s on the pill herself, but according to her it’s different for me because I’m sixteen. She says a condom would be enough, but I’m really not sure. Does she have a point, or would I be better off going on the pill as well as using a condom?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by elouise1453)
I’m not sure if, as a form of protection, I should go on the pill and use condoms, or whether just using a condom alone would be enough. Personally, I would rather have both, and my boyfriend agrees, but after having a few (very awkward) conversations with my mum, she said she doesn’t want me ‘pumped full of hormones’, (she’s a cancer nurse, and believes that the pill can increase the development of some cancers for certain women.) She’s on the pill herself, but according to her it’s different for me because I’m sixteen. She says a condom would be enough, but I’m really not sure. Does she have a point, or would I be better off going on the pill as well as using a condom?
The pill does have certain risks and your mom is right about there being a slightly higher risk of certain cancers. But it is better than condoms when it comes to protecting from pregnancy. I think it might be worth going to your GP or family planning clinic to have a chat about contraception and what would be the best option for you.
EmilyLouiseR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I went to the GP to start on a contraceptive they did recommend that I use both the pill and condoms.
In the end, I ended up trying 4 different contraceptives. 3 pills and the implant (not all at the same time of course) and nothing agreed with my body. I didn't like how they made me feel and that my periods changed. But everyone is different. I'd personally just use condoms but for your piece of mind then go to your GP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (38)
15.77%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (17)
7.05%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
7.05%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (26)
10.79%
Monster Munch (18)
7.47%
Pringles (64)
26.56%
Walkers Oven Baked Crisps (15)
6.22%
Walkers Beef and Onion (3)
1.24%
Thai Sweet Chili Sensations (43)
17.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise