The Student Room Group

Flashbacks on Domestic Abuse in childhood

I'm sorry if this turns into a rant and I really appreciate anybody who reads this.

So I was physically, psychologically and emotionally abused from birth till 12 but the flashbacks started when I was about 14 which I understand as being my brain's way of compartmentalising or whatever but every time I think hey I'm fine! Everything comes flooding back and I remember why I hated myself. I don't self-harm as much anymore, I just don't have the physical energy (I know this sounds pathetic).

I have been in CAMHS since I was 13 (I'm 18 now) and I am paranoid about everything and everyone having ulterior motives which has led me to mistrust my friends. One said the other day that she cannot meet up with me because they have a June holiday and has to pack (well that's a month away and she needs a month to pack? Her sisters are still in term time) and I'm constantly thinking she hates me or something.

I wake up from sleep (when I actually manage sleep) in a sweaty panic thinking that there is a shadow or figure in the corner of my bedroom which of course there never is when I shine a torch into the corner.

I'm constantly on edge causing more arguments within the family and completely stressing my mother out because she just cannot cope with my issues.

I don't know what to do anymore! I feel that I am going in circles in regard to my history. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you for reading. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest