This discussion is closed.
Rico7777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,

I graduated a couple of years ago with a 2.2 in Biomedical sciences, studied a masters and managed to achieve a decent Distinction. I applied for postgrad medicine while studying for my masters ( KCL, SGUL, Notts and Swansea) and received 4 rejections due to a low GAMSAT/UKCAT score. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any advice on how likely I am to get into UK medical schools if I apply again?

Does anyone know if students with 2.2 and masters have ever been accepted into KCL? ( I know they apply, but not sure if they are successful as competition is high)

Finally, If I apply to study at a European university this summer and accept, will this affect my application to the UK?
Starlightpk4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
king college London dont accept 2:2 with a masters anyways, check their website they changed their entry requirements and made a 2:1 minimum
sorry
Rico7777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Starlightpk4)
king college London dont accept 2:2 with a masters anyways, check their website they changed their entry requirements and made a 2:1 minimum
sorry
Thanks for your reply, they have accepted applications in the past from 2.2 applicants with masters. Im waiting for a reply back from admissions, but I did find this on the entry requirements page:

When considering those students which will be shortlisted for interview the selectors consider the following; predicted or achieved 2.1 (or equivalent) in a Biosciences degree
Starlightpk4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes, you're correct they have accept applicants with a 2:2 in the pass but they no longer do now, I would advise you not to waste your ucas option on them as they no longer accept a applicants with a 2:2, you can call them to clarify but I'm certain they wont. as I have a 2:2 in pharmaceutical science and asked the admission team which they said no to
Starlightpk4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...nal-entry-mbbs check their website, the most recent updates one
Oluwalucyyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
King's dont accept 2.2 with a master anymore. They changed it with this cycle being the first with the change. Just keep and eye out as they might change it again.

I think you should focus in your admission exams as youve pretty much got the grades for gamsat universities and Warwick.

All the best!
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Theres a few unis you can apply to so you have a decent shot
You have to get good admission test scores and have work exp in a hospital env for some

my sister got into notts with only a 2:2 and 59 gamsat but she worked as a HCA for about 6 months or so prior to interview. Nots was her only shot and was very work exp heavy so it went ok in the end

with a masters as well it opens up a few more unjs so you should be fine in that regard, just have to do well in those tests and get good exp
Marathi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a GEM student with 2.2 + Masters at Warwick. Definitely give Warwick a shot, it's statistically the easiest GEM course to get into. I had interviews at SGUL/Notts/Swansea too (2017 entry) with a GAMSAT of 58/59, but I put this down to their being decreased application numbers that year (which I think was due to JD strikes). Warwick was my only offer, although I was still on the Swansea waiting list when I accepted it.

It's definitely possible - so don't give up!
aikaaki
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
was it this year? I thought they require higher GAMSAT score for those with a 2.2?
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aikaaki)
was it this year? I thought they require higher GAMSAT score for those with a 2.2?
yeah this year, i guess the cutoff was lower this year
xtragravity
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It definitely is possible to get in! I've got a 2.2 MSc and got offers from SGUL and Notts, waitlisted for Swansea (and a post interview rejection from KGL when they were still interviewing 2.2 applicants). How far off was your GAMSAT score for securing an interview? I can't speak for ALL universities, but certainly for some then it all really hinges on your interview performance, so if you can secure an interview then you've got as good a shot as anyone else.
83hdvb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there I graduated with a 2:2 and planning to do MSc. Any advice on where I should do it in order to increase my chances and also to finish in time to start my medical school in september 2020
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think most Master's programmes run for 12 months (at least mine did Sep-Sep, didn't graduate til November), so you would be unable to start in 2020 if this were the case.
(Original post by 83hdvb)
Hi there I graduated with a 2:2 and planning to do MSc. Any advice on where I should do it in order to increase my chances and also to finish in time to start my medical school in september 2020
SaU99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Where did you do your masters? I'm trying to narrow down unis that accept 2.2 applicants for master's and there's a lot to research while just having gotten my results.
Marathi
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SaU99)
Where did you do your masters? I'm trying to narrow down unis that accept 2.2 applicants for master's and there's a lot to research while just having gotten my results.
I did mine at Edge Hill as it was fairly local to me at the time.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads