The Student Room Group

The worst place you have worked

I thought it might be a good idea to make this post so that people can open up about some of the worst jobs they’ve had, and maybe give a short review. So come on guys, let’s get some of our ‘nightmare job’ stories off our chests!

Well I’ll start off

Deichmann:-

Well to start off with this was one of my first jobs I ever had. Looking back in retrospect I was definitely taken advantage of multiple times, did not receive full correct training and was treat like dog **** basically.

For the first month everything went so well, I was praised a lot, was told I was hitting shoe care sales targets and got on with everyone. Then it all went downhill when I was pulled up on something that I wasn’t trained for (scanning delivery items and sorting out transfer stock) and I told the manager I hadn’t been trained. As well as I hadn’t received proper ladder training which is needed legally in every job with a use of a ladder.

She then began personally insulting my character when all I did was asked to be trained to better myself. I got told that some staff members found me annoying because they had to clear a large amount of stock out of the stockroom once. I protested this and stated truthfully I’d never left piles of stock and never would (I had a eye witness too) and that I wasn’t on shift the day it was left. I had always got on with the supervisors but they started being mean to me, they would constantly stop talking when I walked into the staff room, would make Sly digs about my appearance and tbh I became isolated working there and it triggered my anxiety.

Having said all this, I should have left after the first month but didn’t leave until 2 month later, because I was so concerned about proving myself to people that were too ignorant to even ask basic information about me- as one would when establishing a brand new work place relationship.

It was genuinely one of the worst job experiences I’ve ever had. There was no proper training given, some staff members were constantly making prejudice and racist remarks about customers, the supervisors had massive attitude problems and were work shy, the manager didn’t care about her staffs own safety (I was made to go up to the very top of some ladders when I was extremely ill with a fever and nearly fell).

The customers were wonderful, but management were *****y and petty and some
Staff were down right awful people whom shouldn’t have been working in customer service at all!

But I have learned from this experience as to how to spot if you’re being bullied in the work place, as it isn’t always so cut and dry.
Worked in a call-centre, hated it, being expected to race through call after call like a robot, being pulled up if you took too long to write-up notes from a call, having to listen to your own recorded calls with your supervisor so they can criticize your shortcomings. Minimum-wage, couldn't take two days off together. Don't ever work in a call-centre, awful places
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BeetRoots
Worked in a call-centre, hated it, being expected to race through call after call like a robot, being pulled up if you took too long to write-up notes from a call, having to listen to your own recorded calls with your supervisor so they can criticize your shortcomings. Minimum-wage, couldn't take two days off together. Don't ever work in a call-centre, awful places

That sounds so awful! Yes I’ve heard some terrible stuff about certain call centres. I’ve heard bad things about Npower; I’ve met 3 people that have worked their previously and they’ve hated it!
The worst job was at a children's day nursery.
This job was the 2nd nursery i had worked at. The previous one had been ok, its just that i was only bank staff.
Anyway this nursery was awful. The manager and her husband owned the place. The husband seemed fine, but only ever really appeared at the very beginning and the very end of the day so you would only really see him if you were on the early early shift or the late late shift.
Anyway, most of us didnt have contracts, and were constantly told that we would get one and that she was updating the contracts. But we never received one. The manager also used to speak to people like crap, and seemed to think that this was ok. She also used to not staff the place properly and didnt follow mandatory staff:child ratios. So we were quite regularly left over ratio. If people phoned in sick, she could be known to get a bag on, even though the staff who were phoning in sick were genuinely ill.
Original post by Emma:-)
This job was the 2nd nursery i had worked at. The previous one had been ok, its just that i was only bank staff.
Anyway this nursery was awful. The manager and her husband owned the place. The husband seemed fine, but only ever really appeared at the very beginning and the very end of the day so you would only really see him if you were on the early early shift or the late late shift.
Anyway, most of us didnt have contracts, and were constantly told that we would get one and that she was updating the contracts. But we never received one. The manager also used to speak to people like crap, and seemed to think that this was ok. She also used to not staff the place properly and didnt follow mandatory staff:child ratios. So we were quite regularly left over ratio. If people phoned in sick, she could be known to get a bag on, even though the staff who were phoning in sick were genuinely ill.

Honestly that sounds awful! Bless you putting up with that!

Similar to my experience with the whole phoning in sick scenario. It was near Christmas time and I was absolutely ill with a viral infection; I’m talking I was throwing up, had a fever, couldn’t stop coughing etc. So I decided to phone into work as the previous day in work I had been feeling faint and shakey whilst serving on the tills. So I knew that I wouldn’t be able to put up with it the next day, as my body just couldn’t take it. Anyways, I did the respectful thing and phoned up literally hours before my shift, so the manager would be able to phone for cover. She was totally fine about it when I rang.

However the next day in work I had to fill in a absence form (basically a form asking the employee why they were off etc) and she straight up looked at me and said ‘you really can’t take time off near Christmas, it’s not allowed’, and I said ‘I really would have came in if I didn’t have a fever and felt faint. There’s no way I would have been able to do a shift like that’. She replied really passive aggressively that one of the other staff members had been in all week with a full on cold. I expressed my sympathies and said honestly and firmly, that she didn’t have to go to a walk in centre and be given antibiotics though. Then I said I was really ill otherwise I wouldn’t have been off, I’m losing out on money and hours. I honestly had no qualms about making comments like that because it was the last 3 weeks of my employment there and management had already been a **** with me for nothing multiple times and the work place bullying had been doing on for 2 full months at this point.
Reply 5
Original post by Musicgirl97
That sounds so awful! Yes I’ve heard some terrible stuff about certain call centres. I’ve heard bad things about Npower; I’ve met 3 people that have worked their previously and they’ve hated it!

I take it that is the call centre at Npower rather than any other type of role?
Original post by Emma:-)

I know someone who works at a nursery whose boss doesn't care for paying the NMW or statutory holiday pay. It's amazing staff actually put up with this when there are other options out there (for those who are here legally at least).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending