The Student Room Group

Jealous siblings about results?

Just wondering if anyone else has a jealous sibling?

I have two older sisters who both are jealous of me, I feel like saying to them I can't help it you know, I can't dumb myself down just to keep you happy. One is constantly in competition with me and keeps trying to put me down to make herself feel better and is desperate to beat me at anything.

So anyone have the same problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are they jealous if they are also intelligent? My older brother is really clever and I know I'll never do as well as he did in his GCSE's and AS, but I'd say that as long as you are secure with your own ability and skill then its more a problem for your siblings, atleast you know you are intelligent, she probably feels second best to you and that if she doesn't do well at school then she will be cast aside, no matter how well she does it will never be enough because her family will always regard you as the clever one! But I'm surprised that they are older than you, yet still jealous, my brother couldn't care less about how well I do, he helped me a lot with my maths too :biggrin:
Reply 2
even if my sister were to do better than me for GCSEs (a) I would be proud of her because i've pushed and helped her a lot and (b) its just GCSEs.
Reply 3
Well the one who puts me down was the cleverest when we were children, but I've overtook her which I think is a major problem for her.
Reply 4
I don't but I think because Im the oldest and am only really getting C's right now I think when my ynger sis is older if she got like A's I can see myself being a bit jelous:biggrin: however I would be happy to and want her to achieve the highest I would also feel like a cow if I didnt push her and kinda 'allow' her to get C's nd low grades because I should really push her to achieve higher and i would be a cow if i didnt!

Lets just wait and see her determination first, when shes older:smile:
In a way I do - just vice versa really! My brother got straight A*s at GCSE and is predicted AAAA for his AS exams. He's pretty supportive of me in what I achieve. I'm predicted 4 A*s and 5 As but I don't think I'm going to get that now. I'm not in competition with my brother but it seems like my parents are spurring that on which is preeeeetty annoying! I know that I'm not going to be on par with him, so I just let it go and try my best :smile: The way I see it is that we have different career choices we want to pursue and so, there is no point competing with each other in the end.
Reply 6
rach.
In a way I do - just vice versa really! My brother got straight A*s at GCSE and is predicted AAAA for his AS exams. He's pretty supportive of me in what I achieve. I'm predicted 4 A*s and 5 As but I don't think I'm going to get that now. I'm not in competition with my brother but it seems like my parents are spurring that on which is preeeeetty annoying! I know that I'm not going to be on par with him, so I just let it go and try my best :smile: The way I see it is that we have different career choices we want to pursue and so, there is no point competing with each other in the end.

Its similar with me, my brother got nearly all A*'s at GCSE and AAAA for AS, but I'm not really in competition with him, I'd prefer he does well in exams than some complete stranger, cause when it comes down to it there is people everywhere getting straight A*'s - may as well be someone in your own family! But the annoying thing is my brother is so unambitious, he doesn't care what he does when hes older, he could basically do any academic career he wanted if he put his mind to it, but he just wants to go to uni, get a degree, then work in an office and have a steady job! argh!
rach.

Exactly the same for me. My sister's achievements are a lot higher than I am expecting for mine. It just seems as my parents seem to automatically assume that I'm going to do just as well, but I will just do the best I can.
my brother is doing all his GCSEs and he is predicted 2 GCSEs out of the 13 he should get. a B in business and an A* in maths. Everything else is a mixture of Es, Gs and Us. my brothers aren't very academic, so theres no jealousy there. i think my dad adds a lot of pressure, "your sister got X in X-subject, why aren't you doing better?" which is annoying for us all. i think there is an ounce of competition though, since the eldest brother is sitting his GCSEs now, there is still part of me that hopes he doesn't do as well, mainly so i stay the smartest of the family. of course that'll all change when my sister sits hers (if they still have GCSEs by then), but there is some jealousy there. me and my mum spur her on for the best grades possible, but then my brothers realise that she's doing work at their standard in some subjects and put her down a lot.
Reply 9
My brother calls me a swot all the time, but I don't really work that hard, just naturally a bit more academic than him. I did much better in my GCSEs than him, and hopefully in A2 as well since he didn't leave that big of a legacy to overcome- BDD.

I think it's worse for the younger sibling to do worse if they have really really clever older siblings. Several of my friends feel really inadequate as their older siblings were 5As at A level type people and they aren't.
Theres no rivalry between me and my siblings. We all seem to have different areas of knowlegde though. I am the best at Maths out of my siblings and will be studying it at Uni. One of my brothers does pharmacy, one has a sociology degree, one has a business degree and the eldest has an IT based job. My sister on the other hand, has an English degree.

So in my case, there was never really any jealousy, as we are all good at different things.
Reply 11
I'm the eldest, and if my sister was to get better grades than me i'd be happy for her.
Reply 12
opposite for me. I get stressed about living up to their results :frown: its not fair :frown: im totally different to my bro and sis!
I have a younger brother who is at GCSE level at the moment, while I've just done AS. Luckily enough, there has never really been competition between us- it's not really possible; he's severely dyslexic, can only read and write his own name, but he is fantastic at sports and swims and plays badminton at regional levels. I, however, have always been good academically, and am just average at sports.

Sibling rivalry does seem to be common though, almost all of my friends complain about it at the moment.
Reply 14
yess, its the opposite for me.. my brother is so clever. 3A's at A2, and loadsa A*'s! and im like eeeeeeeeeeeek!!! :frown: makes me quite sad . no1 puts pressure on me to live up to him, but i want to :smile: lol
My older sister went to imperial and is a doctor and my brother went to oxford to study law

I wanted to become a music teacher (changed now but still)

You can imagine my parents' reactions...:rolleyes:
My little brother isn't jealous at all - he isn't academic and never will be. He has not even the slightest bit of interest in school or his schoolwork, which drives me insane! How can anyone not care!? He'll be getting his KS3 SATs results soon (if they haven't been lost :rolleyes:), where he was predicted 6-5-5, which is lower than what I got in my KS2 ones.

My mum doesn't compare him to me, though. She's always going on about how I might have all my A* at GCSE and As at A-Level, but he has common sense.
ArchedEdge
My older sister went to imperial and is a doctor and my brother went to oxford to study law

I wanted to become a music teacher (changed now but still)

You can imagine my parents' reactions...:rolleyes:

:eek: Sounds like you got a raw deal! :smile:
Reply 18
For older siblings (such as I), we have an excuse: GCSEs are getting easier by the year :biggrin:
Reply 19
I get this too. My younger sister is always going on at how I think I'm better than her because of what I got (when I've never said anything of the sort!) and says that she feels insecure because of the options she's taking compared to what I took.
Whilst I've explained to her that History, Geography, French and German are more 'academic' subjects compared to her Art, I.T, History and Media, and that employers and uni's will see it this way, as long as she works hard to get good grades then that's great. She just gets sooo stuffy about it and this causes my parents to then think I'm making her feel bad! :eek::rolleyes:

Latest