The Student Room Group

Thought for the Day - "God bread" and "God wine"

Not sure whether this is the best place for this thread, but hey. As per usual, no offence to anyone involved.

Ok, I hope you all know what I mean by "God bread" "God wine"- the little wafer things in church that represent God's body and the lovely wine that represents His blood. What I was wondering is where do they come from? I'm not so sure about the wine, as for all I know it could just be random wine that changes every time. But provided that there is a special bread and wine that every church uses, doesn't this mean that there's going to be a factory somewhere that spends all day making God's body and God's blood?

Hope this has got you thinking. :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They both taste bad, I wouldn't buy any for my home.

I believe they're both just normal wine and bread. Not imported from like, heaven, or whatever.
Reply 2
at my old church it was stale cream crackers and black currant juice.
are you sure it is alcohol-free? wasnt there a furore recently over in Ireland about priests being stopped for drink-driving on the way back from mass?
i remember at my church the wine was this cheap sherry and the bread were waffers that stuck to the top of your mouth. Both were disgusting
Reply 5
It only changes into Jesus' body in church when they do the prayer over it, beforehand it's just bread and wine.

And no it's not non-alcoholic.
Reply 6
God = Jesus = Holy Spirit :p:

And I actually have no idea. I never considered it.
Reply 7
It can be any type of bread and most use grape juice now for some reason, they just need to be blessed. There are factories that are making communion wafers but they don't symbolise being Jesus' body until they have been blessed.
the wine in our church is alcoholic so is the wine in canterbury cathedral. i say this because whoever takes the service has to stay in the grounds overnight so they don't get arrested drink driving lol. the wine in my church is nice, as are the wafers
Reply 9
did you know that this is how pizza was invented? naples is very religious (it has an underground network of tunnels between churches so people could always be praying even when it was raining) and at one point before the unification of italy the city was at war, as italy tended to be in those days. this meant that none of the sacred bread or wine could be imported, and the monks and priests were hesitant to use any old stuff because it's not sacred. after a couple of weeks, with no sign of the war ending, the last of the holy bread and wine was gone. the city was in panic, because as i said it was highly religious. one young priest, who was quite the expert in culinary affairs apparently, had an idea, and started rolling a piece of dough to make a thin crust to serve as the bread. since all the wine in the city was alcoholic, he decided that the tomatoes grown in the church vineyard would suffice and so he crushed them to a paste and spread it on the bread. thus, pizza was born.
Reply 10
arisk01
the wine in our church is alcoholic so is the wine in canterbury cathedral. i say this because whoever takes the service has to stay in the grounds overnight so they don't get arrested drink driving lol. the wine in my church is nice, as are the wafers
Are the clergy forbidden to ride the beer scooter or, say, the bus.
God bread and wine, haha!!

Anyways, yeah the Church will just buy the products in (or the diocese does then sends them to the Church... i dunno!) as said by Thud, it's during the mass they become Holy. A website selling some if you feel like purchasing, i personally love the bread (best bit of mass!! :p:) i've never had the wine though

-x-
Reply 12
All the remaining wine has to be consumed or somesuch.
Reply 13
Renal
All the remaining wine has to be consumed or somesuch.

Yeah, took me a moment to realise they were talking about the clergy rather than some old drunkie glugging it all down.
Oh my days, the naivity of the starting post!
Yes the stuff is mass produced in factories, but then the wine and the wafers are just like any other food or drink.
Until the priest consecrates and blesses the bread, thats when it becomes the body and blood of Jesus.

And yeah it depends on what denomination you are as to whether you believe that the break and wine are actually the body and blood of christ. And also to whether or not you believe God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the same thing.

Phew.
Reply 15
You mean Communion wafers and wine?

My dad used to polish it off. YUM.
Reply 16
You wouldn't get fined for drunk driving because of drinking church wine.

The amount they give you would barely show up on the police meters. It's like 1 shot of wine... It would be well below the limit.

...unless the priests have an afterparty in the backroom and have some more wine :s-smilie:
Reply 17
But, as said above, whoever blesses it has to finish it - and what with congregations going down, that means more drunk priests. :wink:
Reply 18
The wine we use in our church is very nice in my opinion. It's this one: http://www.hfltd.com/File/VinDautel.asp?cat=20
You can get most other things on that site as well. But to spoil the previous poster's fun, decent alter servers will notice when the congregation is small and pour out an appropiate amount of wine.
undercover agent
are you sure it is alcohol-free? wasnt there a furore recently over in Ireland about priests being stopped for drink-driving on the way back from mass?

The fact they they were drunk doesn't really say anything about whether the wine had alcohol in it or not. The fact that this occurred in Ireland explains the inebriation.

YAY OFFENSIVE NATIONAL STEREOTYPES.

Latest

Trending

Trending