How do I renew my driving license ?

Watch
Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have had my license since February 2011. received as letter to update and renew it.
says can do it online using passport but not got my new passport yet waiting on getting it through.
can do it at the post office but costs extra. can I take a passport photo and send it in ? thanks
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
I have had my license since February 2011. received as letter to update and renew it.
says can do it online using passport but not got my new passport yet waiting on getting it through.
can do it at the post office but costs extra. can I take a passport photo and send it in ? thanks
When does it expire? Should last 10 years, which would be 2021..
ohhello92x
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with the above poster, it should be valid for 10 years. I can only assume you’re updating your address/name/gender??

When I got my full licence, I had it sent to me automatically (couldn’t be bothered faffing about after I passed :lol: ), but when I applied for the provisional, I seem to vaguely recall putting my passport number in.

*EDIT*
Found this on the GOV website....

Attachment 833470
Attachment 833472
Attachment 833474

If it’s still not clear/you’re still unsure, then I’d advise contacting the DVLA....
Last edited by ohhello92x; 2 years ago
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The date comes from when you applied for your first provisional licence with a picture - that picture lasts 10 years. Not the date you passed your test.

Specifically when does your driving licence expire and have you already applied for your passport? The passport renewal is pretty quick - think mine took about 10 days.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Apachecow)
The date comes from when you applied for your first provisional licence with a picture - that picture lasts 10 years. Not the date you passed your test.
Touché.
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Specifically when does your driving licence expire and have you already applied for your passport? The passport renewal is pretty quick - think mine took about 10 days.
Seems unclear from OPs post (unless I’m just misreading it). Though for example with my full licence, it expires October 2026 (towards the end of October - I passed my test beginning of October 2016, so got my licence through the post literally a couple of weeks after passing ).
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ohhello92x)
Seems unclear from OPs post (unless I’m just misreading it). Though for example with my full licence, it expires October 2026 (towards the end of October - I passed my test beginning of October 2016, so got my licence through the post literally a couple of weeks after passing ).
Just checked mine - expires exactly 10 years after passing.
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Just checked mine - expires exactly 10 years after passing.
Fair enough. On the back of mine it’s given me the date of when I passed to the day before I turn 70, but on the valid from and valid to they gave me dates 2 weeks after I’ve passed if that makes sense....
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
When does it expire? Should last 10 years, which would be 2021..
hey Tom
section 4b on license card shows it expires 24/07/19, I passed my test on 01/02/2011

thanks
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
I agree with the above poster, it should be valid for 10 years. I can only assume you’re updating your address/name/gender??

When I got my full licence, I had it sent to me automatically (couldn’t be bothered faffing about after I passed :lol: ), but when I applied for the provisional, I seem to vaguely recall putting my passport number in.

*EDIT*
Found this on the GOV website....

Attachment 833470
Attachment 833472
Attachment 833474

If it’s still not clear/you’re still unsure, then I’d advise contacting the DVLA....
hey
section 4b on license card shows it expires 24/07/19, I passed my test on 01/02/2011

thanks
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?

hey Apachecow

Not applied for my passport yet but am going to do real soon, got some day trips around Europe I want to do solo
thanks
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey Tom

thanks
How bizarre.

Suppose you still have time to renew your passport, but if you'd prefer to delay that you can just pay the slight extra fee and pop to the post office to renew.
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey

thanks
Hey.

Ah ok, that’s odd then. Never known for anyone’s licence to be valid for 8 years (my brother lost his provisional a while ago, has now got a new once since, think his valid start date is from when he got the new one, but the date to is still the 10 years from when he applied for the original), especially as they’ve passed their test less than 10 years ago....
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey Apachecow

Not applied for my passport yet but am going to do real soon, got some day trips around Europe I want to do solo
thanks
You should get your passport fairly quick once you’ve applied, I got mine updated back in 2014, think I got it back within a month
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
You should get your passport fairly quick once you’ve applied, I got mine updated back in 2014, think I got it back within a month
great, how many years are on them until the expiry date ?
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
Hey.

Ah ok, that’s odd then. Never known for anyone’s licence to be valid for 8 years (my brother lost his provisional a while ago, has now got a new once since, think his valid start date is from when he got the new one, but the date to is still the 10 years from when he applied for the original), especially as they’ve passed their test less than 10 years ago....
Do you think I should ring them up and see if they made a mistake ?
also do they want a new photo of me when I renew it and do they send me out a new card ? thanks
Last edited by Cleverboy1991; 2 years ago
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
great, how many years are on them until the expiry date ?
For adult passports, 10 years
Child passports, 5 years
Cleverboy1991
Rep:
?
How bizarre.

Suppose you still have time to renew your passport, but if you'd prefer to delay that you can just pay the slight extra fee and pop to the post office to renew.
do you thing I should ring them up and see if they have made a mistake ?
also do they want a new photo of me when I renew it and do they send me out a new card ? thanks
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you think I should ring them up and see if they made a mistake ?
You could do, if you wanted to be sure, seeing as you said you passed your test back in 2011....
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.23%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (75)
28.09%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.6%

Watched Threads