The Student Room Group

Going home and losing freedom

Am back home from uni for summer
And I feel big difference already
I must mention am a Muslim girl
In halls I was free went out when I wanted with whom I wanted wore what I wanted ate outside all the time did what I wanted
Though I felt lonely in halls I had much more freedom
But here at home I feel my freedom is severely restricted and I had to wear loose clothing
I feel like a double personality person when am at home and at uni ....
And the worst thing is that I can’t even talk to some of my friends and have some privacy...
Shall I just go back to halls? ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes.
Your freedom and privacy is priceless.
You go to the place that makes you most happy, if that sense of freedom is what brings you happiness then go for it!
It’s too expensive to go live there for summer time
Original post by samrichardsonn
You go to the place that makes you most happy, if that sense of freedom is what brings you happiness then go for it!
But what if I can’t afford to live there in summer?
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
Your freedom and privacy is priceless.
Reply 5
I guess you will have to put up with it then but at least you know you are escaping again in September. Can you get a job so you can be out of the house for some of the time.
It maybe easier after a week or two as you adjust back into home life. It is always a bit clunky going from independent student to being back into family life for parents and kids.
Original post by Studentnewcastle

Find employment?

or you put up with the extremist behaviour from your parents as the cost of free lodging.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am trying to adjust but it’s really hard imagine not wearing a hijab for so long and going back to not only wear it but also wearing loose clothing going from freely walking around going out with friends and doin whatever I want to this i guess that’s the cost of free accommodation
Original post by Scotney
I guess you will have to put up with it then but at least you know you are escaping again in September. Can you get a job so you can be out of the house for some of the time.
It maybe easier after a week or two as you adjust back into home life. It is always a bit clunky going from independent student to being back into family life for parents and kids.
(edited 4 years ago)
I tried I applied everywhere no one wants to hire me unfortunately
Original post by Blue_Cow
Find employment?

or you put up with the extremist behaviour from your parents as the cost of free lodging.
yes i agree studentnewcastle,
But what if I can’t afford to live there in summer?

work on being out of the house as much as you can, can you do some volunteering to help you get a job? then save as much as you can once you're back at uni so that you can afford to move out next year.
I know right people keep telling me move out ur freedom is all that matters easier for them to say since their not the ones paying for it i can barely afford living out in term time and paying all that rent and food specially while not having a loan like most people
Original post by Owenbrothers
yes i agree studentnewcastle,
Lots of people on here have absolutely no concept of real life. They are not basing their advice on facts and are often very young. Do what you have to do for now life is often a compromise. It's called making the best of a bad job where I come from.
I know right people keep telling me move out ur freedom is all that matters easier for them to say since their not the ones paying for it i can barely afford living out in term time and paying all that rent and food specially while not having a loan like most people
idk how y'all do that? my family would keep coming for "surprise visits" so they can catch me

Quick Reply

Latest