The Student Room Group

Should I start an open relationship with my girlfriend?

Original post by JohnSmith1298
I am 17 years old and have been with my girlfriend for 4 years now. While it sounds cringy, she and I really do love each other and have every intention of marriage. However, everyone we speak to, parents, friends, work colleagues e.t.c. say that this unrealistic and that after 20 years of being together we will wish we'd experienced other people. I can see where these concerns come from as being together from so young we have never been with anyone else. We have discussed the possibility of an open relationship a little after people have said these things, but never much as it isn't something we are overly worried about. I have also thought of if a threesome would perhaps be better as we wouldn't feel we are missing out on an experience the other is having, reducing jealousy. I struggle with either ideas as I am truly happy with our relationship and also would struggle to know she had been with others. However, I would never want to restrict what she experiences in life and do worry if what people tell us is true. I know this is a complicated question guys but I'd really appreciate any help and advice you could offer.
Thanks, John

Only do it if both of you want to do it. Don't just because others suggest it because it isn't their relationship.

Should I start an open relationship with my girlfriend?

Original post by JohnSmith1298
I am 17 years old and have been with my girlfriend for 4 years now. While it sounds cringy, she and I really do love each other and have every intention of marriage. However, everyone we speak to, parents, friends, work colleagues e.t.c. say that this unrealistic and that after 20 years of being together we will wish we'd experienced other people. I can see where these concerns come from as being together from so young we have never been with anyone else. We have discussed the possibility of an open relationship a little after people have said these things, but never much as it isn't something we are overly worried about. I have also thought of if a threesome would perhaps be better as we wouldn't feel we are missing out on an experience the other is having, reducing jealousy. I struggle with either ideas as I am truly happy with our relationship and also would struggle to know she had been with others. However, I would never want to restrict what she experiences in life and do worry if what people tell us is true. I know this is a complicated question guys but I'd really appreciate any help and advice you could offer.
Thanks, John

Only do it if both of you want to do it. Don't just because others suggest it because it isn't their relationship.
Reply 1
If you two genuinely want to do it and think your relationship would survive then go for it.

But if you're only thinking of doing it because what other people have suggested then don't bother, this is your relationship and both of your choice, if you don't want to try things with new people you won't "miss out" Especially if you love each other as they're all you need :smile:
Bin the relationship if you’re thinking about threesomes or an open relationship. Open relationships are a crock in my opinion.
Open relationships often spell the beginning of the end. There will be so much hurt, jealously, and ill-feelings toward each other that you'll inevitably break-up anyway.
Original post by Elektra06
If you two genuinely want to do it and think your relationship would survive then go for it.

But if you're only thinking of doing it because what other people have suggested then don't bother, this is your relationship and both of your choice, if you don't want to try things with new people you won't "miss out" Especially if you love each other as they're all you need :smile:

Thanks for the reply, this is helpful for me as I had been thinking the same thing myself but wasn't sure if I was the one in the wrong. Just got to think that not too long ago, it was pretty normal for people to get together young and stay with them their whole life.
Reply 5
Totally! Everyone is different, some people like open relationships, some people are happy to be with the one same person because it's all they need, just do what's right for you guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending