Should uk get rid of exam boards and make all students do the same sort of exam Watch

Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello everyone, I have recently finished my a levels and now I have the opportunity to address my disgust towards this 'uk education system'. When i mention education system, different uk exam boards. At the end universities only look at and compare grades we achieve on the certificate, not the board. I feel like this system is not fair, as in my personal opinion i feel like the difficulty of each exam board varies.What do you think about this educational system?
Last edited by Stormragexox; 3 weeks ago
JackFu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As much as i hate the Edexcel incident this year I dont believe there should be a single firm providing exams. If there is a pure monopoly in providing exams, they would have complete dominance in the market and could charge high prices for exams which isnt beneficial for the low income families who already think exams are expensive and could widen income and socioeconomic inequality in the long run. Therefore the gov may need to spend more on regulating the exam board monopoly with Ofsted and would just increase the UK national debt. Also, think about the quality of the marking, if there is a monopoly, the quality of marking could drop so they charge extra for remark.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by JackFu; 3 weeks ago
JackFu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Different exam boards exist also for competition in the market.
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow! Did you do Economics?
(Original post by JackFu)
As much as i hate the Edexcel incident this year I dont believe there should be a single firm providing exams. I there is a pure monopoly in providing exams, they would have dominance in the market and could charge high prices for exams which isnt beneficial for the low income families and could widen income and socioeconomic inequality in the long run. Therefore the gov may need to spend more on regulating the exam board monopoly with Ofsted and would just increase the UK national debt.
JackFu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Wow! Did you do Economics?
yeah and this years econ and math by edexcel are much harder than last year but the AQA have it easier I think.
x.laura
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That is the standard in many European countries and students are charged nothing (!) to take exams.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Difficulty of exams varies but they have the same methods for sorting grade boundaries every time so it should in theory even out when it comes to uni applications. The main issue you'd have with singular boards is paper leaks. A leak would have further reaching consequences as the leaked paper would be the paper that every student of the subject in the country would be taking.

Ofc your main pro of having just one is that you don't have variation of syllabuses so you don't get that meme where ur uni lecturer goes "you shoulda learned this at A level." when you absolutely didn't. Though that tends to be more of a problem in STEM than anywhere else, really.

I dunno, I'm undecided.
As much as i hate the Edexcel incident this year I dont believe there should be a single firm providing exams. If there is a pure monopoly in providing exams, they would have complete dominance in the market and could charge high prices for exams which isnt beneficial for the low income families who already think exams are expensive and could widen income and socioeconomic inequality in the long run.
They're provided by schools for free anyway you daftee. You'd just need a government imposed fee cap to not increase costs for schools, or make the exam board an independent govt body itself. Park the economics AS for a second, yeah?
(Original post by x.laura)
That is the standard in many European countries and students are charged nothing (!) to take exams.
Since when have schoolkids been charged to sit exams? tf kind of dystopia are the people in this thread living in?
JackFu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by x.laura)
But the UK is a different country with different system and political economy, not sure if the government can just pay for everythong especially with a fiscal deficit and 83 percent GDP national debt.
JackFu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Difficulty of exams varies but they have the same methods for sorting grade boundaries every time so it should in theory even out when it comes to uni applications. The main issue you'd have with singular boards is paper leaks. A leak would have further reaching consequences as the leaked paper would be the paper that every student of the subject in the country would be taking.

Ofc your main pro of having just one is that you don't have variation of syllabuses so you don't get that meme where ur uni lecturer goes "you shoulda learned this at A level." when you absolutely didn't. Though that tends to be more of a problem in STEM than anywhere else, really.

I dunno, I'm undecided.
Since when have schoolkids been charged to sit exams? tf kind of dystopia are the people in this thread living in?
Perhaps in state schools but in a private school,there is a fee. In addtion, the papers paid by schools are funded by governments so that does not contradict my point above in regards to spending problems. The latter process u suggested is called nationalisation, and has problems of its own.... Also price capping.... surely no unintended consequences? Daftee?
JackFu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)

I dunno, I'm undecided.
i think each person costs 160 somthing per exam and I do emembering paying for my GCSES...
zxvs
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Interesting. What do you think about nationalising exam boards and having all exams under one board that way? Also I know I'm nitpicking here but it's actually Ofqual that regulate exam boards, not Ofsted.
As much as i hate the Edexcel incident this year I dont believe there should be a single firm providing exams. If there is a pure monopoly in providing exams, they would have complete dominance in the market and could charge high prices for exams which isnt beneficial for the low income families who already think exams are expensive and could widen income and socioeconomic inequality in the long run. Therefore the gov may need to spend more on regulating the exam board monopoly with Ofsted and would just increase the UK national debt. Also, think about the quality of the marking, if there is a monopoly, the quality of marking could drop so they charge extra for remark.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Perhaps in state schools but in a private school,there is a fee.
Ah yes... charging private school kids is going to raise social inequality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads