Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, and slightly shocked..
    I just did a BYB5 paper (June 07) and got 52/66, which comes to 79%, a B....
    or is it?
    Because according to this link: http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/...OUND-JUN07.PDF
    Its only 41/66 for an A!?!? thats like 60%.. SURELY that cant be right?

Just checked Jan 07 and its similar with 43/66 for an A!? What on earth! So ive been stressing about only getting in the 50's on these papers when you only need to get in the low 40's for an A!? Blummin heck!
    I realise that you need 80% UMS for an A, but a 41/60 mark in order for it to be converted to 80% UMS seems pretty damn low to me!

ReputationRep:
    bump!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's weird. But surely you know all about UMS and stuff?

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you may have been marking yourself a bit easy? Because the reason biology exams have got such low grade boundires is because the marking is SO pedantic! You need to have exactly what's on the markscheme.

Or maybe you're just very clever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by person 34)
    Yeah, it's weird. But surely you know all about UMS and stuff?

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you may have been marking yourself a bit easy? Because the reason biology exams have got such low grade boundires is because the marking is SO pedantic! You need to have exactly what's on the markscheme.

Or maybe you're just very clever
    Well I thought I was marking myself harshly!? I mean i'm sure i've denied myself some marks because I havent worded it like the markscheme and didn't know whether it would count, so not counted it as a mark. Hm. Ah well theres not much point wondering really, I still need to work my arse off between now and the exam!
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_vio)
    Well I thought I was marking myself harshly!? I mean i'm sure i've denied myself some marks because I havent worded it like the markscheme and didn't know whether it would count, so not counted it as a mark. Hm. Ah well theres not much point wondering really, I still need to work my arse off between now and the exam!
    Cheers
    Well if you're getting high As, then seems you don't have much work to do!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by person 34)
    Well if you're getting high As, then seems you don't have much work to do!

Good luck!
    Im kind of wishing I hadn't seen the grade boundaries though, as i'd be still motivated to revise- now i'm just not Ah well. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, glad I found this...this is extremely encouraging, thanks

ReputationRep:
    they are reaaaallly low - which i never realised and always assumed that getting 89/90 ums marks was really good! but apparently not!

ReputationRep:
    i just did that exact paper and only got 23. that's not even an E!
    i never word it right to get the marks.
    yet i only need 10 more marks to get a C. it's messed up.
    i'm screwed anyway been revising for weeks for this and thought i knew everything.
    i'm screwed cos it's tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    im ******** it too...i love bio...ive revised it did past papers and got A's and B's...but i just did a past paper now (June 05) and Got 24 ...i'm just gonna get off TSR and just keep revising and revising. We all know how important getting an A is, so to anyone reading this post..."Go and ******* revise!!! dont be stupid, your gonna be crying over ur ******* mark in August so just put that little bit of effort in until 1:30pm tommorow"

Good luck people
    x

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome news! Makes me feel better about messing up the whole 6 mark lipid question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nattynoo101)
    That's awesome news! Makes me feel better about messing up the whole 6 mark lipid question
    how did you find it? =)

ReputationRep:
    please tell me that wasn't BYA5 or BYA6?
    if so oh dear god....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    please tell me that wasn't BYA5 or BYA6?
    if so oh dear god....
    eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circularmover)
    how did you find it? =)
    The paper in general or the lipids question? Other than the last question i thought it was alright. Though don't want to count my chickens etc just yet though. Synoptic stuff that I had actually revised came up! Wooh. Like the biological importance of water one. I just tried to blag the lipids one, doing on about how the intestine is adapted and stuff. Hehe.

Not looking forward to BYB7 though!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else think Unit 6 was another language all together!?!?! Never done such a hard exam, I'd be happy with a D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nattynoo101)
    The paper in general or the lipids question? Other than the last question i thought it was alright. Though don't want to count my chickens etc just yet though. Synoptic stuff that I had actually revised came up! Wooh. Like the biological importance of water one. I just tried to blag the lipids one, doing on about how the intestine is adapted and stuff. Hehe.

Not looking forward to BYB7 though!
    BYB7 is alryt...the mark scemes are less picky. Its just the essay thats dodgy. My moneys on stucture and function of lipids being one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circularmover)
    BYB7 is alryt...the mark scemes are less picky. Its just the essay thats dodgy. My moneys on stucture and function of lipids being one
    Oh god...if that comes up then i'm doomed! Either that or i'll be very prepared for a change by considering the fact that it might come up in advance. But it's cool that the mark schemes are less picky! It might actually give us a chance to show them what we know instead of how many exact details we can remember and quote!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.