The Student Room Group

Being let go

I’ve been in this new job just over a month coming up 2 months it’s a hairdressing job I’ve brrn qualified for just over 2 years. Before this job I was working in the co op as I needed the extra income but I hated it and knew I needed to go back to hairdressing. Well anyway I didn’t have much experience as if cutting and thins but I shadowed these people to gain skills and knowledge but I was supposed to be taking over for a girl who is pregnant, but on Friday I got told that she is going to let me go as I’m not picking up fast enough or gaining many of my own clients, I still have to go to work though until she’s made up her mind when she’s going to let me go. I feel absolutely broken I quit the co op to work here to try and be the best that I could be and gain vital experience but I feel like I’m just not meant to be a hairdresser:/ how do I go about telling my family btw I’m 21 and live at home, all I’ve done is cry and I feel anxious and ashamed that I’ve been let go and I feel awful as I wasn’t exceeding expeditions in my job any advice will be truly appreciated thank you x
Reply 1
It's a horrible situation to be in, but please don't give up on hairdressing because of one bad experience, especially when you hadn't been in the job very long! It could be any number of reasons why this has happened, including you not getting the correct teaching or guidance on techniques and gaining clients.

I don't know about the hairdressing industry specifically, so will give some general careers advice. First, start looking around now for another hairdressing position. Research places and see if they can offer you what you need, but it might take one or two attempts to find the right fit. Ask your colleagues if they know of anywhere, go to other hairdressers, register with agencies, whatever it takes. If you want an income, you might have to bite the bullet and take a job elsewhere in the meantime. Second, be brave and ask your current supervisor for feedback. Yes, you migh find it tough to hear at the time, but try to stay calm, take notes and read it through objectively later; there could be constructive criticism included that are things you can work on. Third, whilst you say you are qualified, are there any evening classes or short courses at a local college that would be helpful to you?

How do you think your family will react? Are they generally supportive of you? It might help if you have already put in place as many plans as possible for job-hunting, further education etc and can tell them this is what you are doing. Yes, you might cry, but don't put yourself down to them. Unless your family use the hairdressers or know the staff, you could just say they are letting you go as they are trying to bring in more business and want someone with more experience to deal directly with customers, rather than spend time training someone up. It's actually not far off the truth, and a decent spin on it to say to everyone.

It might help if you get a leaving date, it gives you something to work towards and you can tell other potential employers when you are available. Deep breath, regroup and just take a different path to achieving your dream! :console:
Reply 2
Thank you so much I was in a previous salon before I went to the co op as I needed the extra income at the time and she also let me go due to needing extra income, and I just feel so **** about it tho as I’ve never wanted anything more in life, and my family was supportive when I first started in my hairdressing and through my training but because I wasn’t earning enough and went to co op they were brilliant then, but I quit the co op as I knew I was only meant to be a stepping stone in life, and when I had this job they were really unsupportive and would refuse to come down the salon and help me out and help me gain some clientele which in turn has made my boss think that I’ve somehow tarnished my reputation and that my grandparents don’t trust me doing their hair ( which I’ve done their hair throughout) my job at the co op. I am absolutely gutted to say the least and really don’t want to tell them for them to be disappointed in me and to say you should of stayed in the co op) and all that. About my situation now I am capable of colouring hair but for the last few days she’s stopped me doing colouring and everything so I’m in work cleaning and not much else which I know salon has got to be clean and all. She has mentioned going back to college and to continue doing placement where I currently work but after her though of me tarnishing my own reputation which I haven’t as I haven’t had many clients to call my own to really tarnish anything as such, I don’t really want to go to placement there she’s going to speak to her accountant and give me an end date, in the mean time I’ve searching for jobs and feel so lost right now thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it :smile:xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending