The Student Room Group

Nursing/midwifery at Northumbria

Hi,

is anyone thinking about studying nursing/midwifery at Northumbria in 2020? I'm relocating to Newcastle in January and would be great to get to know some people!

martina
Reply 1
Hi, I’ve applied to northumbria for Msc nursing , but its been more than a week, i haven’t recieved any emails regarding offer letter. I’ve apploed for january intake.
Reply 2
Ive also applied for January 2021 Nursing Msc at northumbria! I haven't heard anything yet.. have you?
Reply 3
Original post by Spratt88
Ive also applied for January 2021 Nursing Msc at northumbria! I haven't heard anything yet.. have you?

I originally applied to the Northumbria BSc Child course but since I have two prior masters degrees they said they would consider me for the MSc, too. I had my interview for both courses on Tuesday and was sent a conditional offer yesterday for the MSc. I've accepted it and am currently working on the RPL. Have either of you heard back since you posted?
Reply 4
Original post by aellap
I originally applied to the Northumbria BSc Child course but since I have two prior masters degrees they said they would consider me for the MSc, too. I had my interview for both courses on Tuesday and was sent a conditional offer yesterday for the MSc. I've accepted it and am currently working on the RPL. Have either of you heard back since you posted?

Did you have an interview for January 2021 entry? Thats amazing though, well done! I haven't heard anything at all. I emailed and they said it would be a 'good while' until I heard back as they are still dealing with September applications at the minute. What was the interview like if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you! I thought it was for January entry but my offer said September so I guess I’ll be starting sooner than planned.I’m American and currently living in Spain so they did my interview via Skype. Although I think that’s how they’re doing the interviews now anyway. It was with only one of the nursing tutors and was very laid back. I felt completely comfortable. She asked about my past education and experience, health problems affecting children in the UK/globally, why I picked Northumbria and why Northumbria should pick me. She also gave me some of the pillars of the NHS/NMC and asked me to provide an example of how I’ve demonstrated one of them (I picked She said the MSc takes 10 versus 60 in the BSc so I’m looking forward to a close group with plenty of personal attention! Good luck to you and hopefully I’ll see you come January :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by aellap
Thank you! I thought it was for January entry but my offer said September so I guess I’ll be starting sooner than planned.I’m American and currently living in Spain so they did my interview via Skype. Although I think that’s how they’re doing the interviews now anyway. It was with only one of the nursing tutors and was very laid back. I felt completely comfortable. She asked about my past education and experience, health problems affecting children in the UK/globally, why I picked Northumbria and why Northumbria should pick me. She also gave me some of the pillars of the NHS/NMC and asked me to provide an example of how I’ve demonstrated one of them (I picked She said the MSc takes 10 versus 60 in the BSc so I’m looking forward to a close group with plenty of personal attention! Good luck to you and hopefully I’ll see you come January :smile:

Thank you so much for all your help!
Is your masters still only two years? I never saw a masters starting in September advertised on the website otherwise I definitely would’ve gone for that instead of a January start. Yeah I agree the smaller groups are much better! I’m really hoping I get a place but I know how competitive it is. Yes hopefully see you in January!
Reply 7
Original post by Spratt88
Thank you so much for all your help!
Is your masters still only two years? I never saw a masters starting in September advertised on the website otherwise I definitely would’ve gone for that instead of a January start. Yeah I agree the smaller groups are much better! I’m really hoping I get a place but I know how competitive it is. Yes hopefully see you in January!

I asked admissions if there was some kind of mistake because I didn't see a September start for the two-year course either. They assured me it was correct but I'm still skeptical. There has been some back and forth since I applied -- the website says international students need to apply through the site but after I submitted my application, admissions told me I had to apply through UCAS. They ended up accepting my app through the website though because I pointed out the instructions. Then I was told the nursing tutor who reviewed my app asked if I wanted to be considered for the MSc. When I was given my interview they didn't say anything about the MSc so I asked if there was a separate date and they said they had no record of me applying to the MSc. I had to forward the email about them suggesting it. Sooo, I think there is some confusion on their end. Everyone is working from home so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm hoping to hear from someone tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find out!
What is your prior care experience in? I have a combination of experience on top of a Master of Public Health and a Master of Arts in Medical Sociology. The thing is, I've never worked as a nursing assistant. I worked as an epidemiologist for 4+ years as well as with children with autism but I'm afraid it's not enough. I feel like they wouldn't have sent me an offer if they didn't think I was right for the program but I'm completing the recognition of prior learning document now and I'm getting nervous. The offer said it's conditional but there's a part of me that's terrified they'll yank it! We'll see...

Quick Reply

Latest