Post LLB Employment 'Mid-Life Crisis'? Watch

Roanna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am due to get a first class law degree, however, I am having issues trying to find employment that is not just overly saturated London firms. Ideally, I would like to be doing something constructive towards a legal profession come September where I should have received my full classification. However, I have missed the opportunity to apply for typical graduate opportunities such as training contracts/vacation schemes from firms as my current accelerated course puts me in a position where I was in-between levels, so when needing to apply as a second-year student I was technically half second-year.
I've come to a crossroads in my employment progression, I've been looking at paralegal vacancies (and any variation of this e.g. trainee paralegal, trainee solicitor etc), however, the majority of employers look for students who have completed the LPC. I do not know if its a wise decision to self fund the LPC by doing a combined LPC and LLM, having student finance fund 10k of this and then pay off the other couple thousand. Or do wait until I can apply for a vacation scheme, progressing to a training contract? The only issues are that these type of opportunities are few and far between.
The other complication with this route is finding something to bide my time during the wait to vacation scheme vacancies, then the issue of employers seeking law students with an LPC attached arises again. This whole ordeal just seems to be a continuous loop, any advice from someone who has been able to escape this torturous cycle will be appreciated!
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Roanna)
I am due to get a first class law degree, however, I am having issues trying to find employment that is not just overly saturated London firms. Ideally, I would like to be doing something constructive towards a legal profession come September where I should have received my full classification. However, I have missed the opportunity to apply for typical graduate opportunities such as training contracts/vacation schemes from firms as my current accelerated course puts me in a position where I was in-between levels, so when needing to apply as a second-year student I was technically half second-year.
I've come to a crossroads in my employment progression, I've been looking at paralegal vacancies (and any variation of this e.g. trainee paralegal, trainee solicitor etc), however, the majority of employers look for students who have completed the LPC. I do not know if its a wise decision to self fund the LPC by doing a combined LPC and LLM, having student finance fund 10k of this and then pay off the other couple thousand. Or do wait until I can apply for a vacation scheme, progressing to a training contract? The only issues are that these type of opportunities are few and far between.
The other complication with this route is finding something to bide my time during the wait to vacation scheme vacancies, then the issue of employers seeking law students with an LPC attached arises again. This whole ordeal just seems to be a continuous loop, any advice from someone who has been able to escape this torturous cycle will be appreciated!
Hey, sorry you haven't had an answer to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

Sorry I'm not familiar with law particularly, but possibly Gingerbread101 would know more about your question!
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Out of curiosity, I did some research about legal careers and applicants are expected to apply for TCs in their 2nd year (so you don't necessarily need LPC to get an employment offer).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads