The Student Room Group

Should I keep 4 a levels or only do four?

I’m going into sixth form this September and at my interview I put down history, maths, politics and physics. I’m not keen about physics or doing 4 in general. I would rather get the best that I can in 3 than end up over working myself and getting worse grades with 4. However would it be a disadvantage to me applying to competitive universities if I only did 3? And should I just drop physics as soon as I can as to not waste time or should I give it a chance?
I suggest you don’t take 4 because most unis make offers for 3 a levels so if you don’t genuinely love it and you only want to take 4 for competing, then don’t because it’s much better having better quality then quantity.
Original post by PetitePanda
I suggest you don’t take 4 because most unis make offers for 3 a levels so if you don’t genuinely love it and you only want to take 4 for competing, then don’t because it’s much better having better quality then quantity.

Ah okay that makes sense, I think it would be best for me doing 3
Have you considered taking 4 in your first year and dropping one for your second year? That might give you a better idea of which three to pursue.
I would do that but I wouldn’t want to waste any time doing one that I would inevitably drop and I’m sure that if I was to drop one it would be physics
Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Most Sixth Form students will be taking 4 subjects to begin with, and then be offered the option to focus on 3 during their second year. If you speak with your teachers, you may be able to discuss the option of only taking 3 subjects from the beginning or, if you know that physics is not something you plan on carrying on with, why not look to see if there is a different subjects which you would actually enjoy instead.

If in the end, this 4th subject if the one you chose to drop, then you may as well have a year of learning something you actually have an interest in rather than spending a year struggling through a subject you don't like!

As the post above mentions, universities will likely be asking for 3 A-Level grades rather than 4 so it might be an idea to choose a 4th subject which will allow you to enjoy your time in Sixth Form rather than dragging yourself to classes you don't enjoy!

If you want to discuss this, or anything else in more details, feel free to get in touch, our contact details are in our signature!

Good luck!

Tom.
Thank you !
Original post by blackforest786
I’m going into sixth form this September and at my interview I put down history, maths, politics and physics. I’m not keen about physics or doing 4 in general. I would rather get the best that I can in 3 than end up over working myself and getting worse grades with 4. However would it be a disadvantage to me applying to competitive universities if I only did 3? And should I just drop physics as soon as I can as to not waste time or should I give it a chance?

Read your title.

Do 3.
didn’t mean to oops it was a typo
I would recommend taking 3, I was going to take 4 A-Levels (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Fine Art) and I decided that I would rather put all of my efforts into getting good grades in 3 (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) than mediocre ones in 4. I have a lot of friends who took 4 A-Levels and 6/7 of them dropped their fourth subject before the end of first year because the work was just too much. But I guess that all depends on the difficulty of the subjects you’re doing and how hard you have to work to do well in them, hope this helped in some way :smile:
Original post by KatieLouise0
I would recommend taking 3, I was going to take 4 A-Levels (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Fine Art) and I decided that I would rather put all of my efforts into getting good grades in 3 (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) than mediocre ones in 4. I have a lot of friends who took 4 A-Levels and 6/7 of them dropped their fourth subject before the end of first year because the work was just too much. But I guess that all depends on the difficulty of the subjects you’re doing and how hard you have to work to do well in them, hope this helped in some way :smile:

ah yes thank you it did :smile: i think it’s best if i focus on 3 a levels from the beginning of the year
That’s good, good luck in college then :smile:
Original post by blackforest786
ah yes thank you it did :smile: i think it’s best if i focus on 3 a levels from the beginning of the year
Original post by KatieLouise0
That’s good, good luck in college then :smile:

thanks !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending