Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather your boyfriend/girlfriend left you for someone REALLY ugly? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I was talking to my boyfriend about a friend of his cheating on his girlfriend, and listening to the song 'ugly girl' by Fiona Apple and I was wondering... if my boyfriend was to cheat on my and leave me for someone, would I rather it was someone prettier than me, or someone really ugly?

(I know that everyone's pretty in their own way, etc, but for the purposes of this conversation...)

Because on the one hand, it'd be completely gutting to have someone leave you for this beautiful person you can't compare with. But on the other, if they leave you for someone ugly, then you can't just make yourself feel better by saying 'oh it's just because he thinks she's gorgeous' - the 'other woman' must be better as a person etc. At least that's the way my mind would work :p:

So which would you rather... boyfriend/girlfriend leave you for someone who's drop-dead-gorgeous, or someone ugly?!

(I apologise if this post seems shallow or full of assumptions )

ReputationRep:
    I would so rather they left me for someone who was more attractive than I was. At least I'd be able tro comfort myself by saying that he only wants her for her looks... But if they left me for someone who was less attractive I'd just think something was seriously wrong with me - the person, which would suck even more.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I've thought this. If he left me for someone REALLY ugly I'd certainly re-evaluate myself!

ReputationRep:
    Yup exactly. They'd better be hotter than me or it'd be more of a ''burn'' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Haa, I was going to quote 'Ugly Girl' before I even read this thread. I love that song.

I think I'd feel better if I was left for someone I knew was uglier than me. If I was left for someone absolutely beautiful that would make me feel crap. I'm more self-conscious about the way I look than my personality.

ReputationRep:
    I'd much rather they left me for someone really ugly. If it was for someone pretty I'd be even more paranoid about my looks, freak out and cry that I'm not pretty enough.

At least if it was for someone ugly I'd think "Well at least I'm better" and could blame his leaving me on my awful personality.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather they were hotter coz then i'd be able to see a reason for him leaving on the surface of it.

If they were ugly it would just be the ultimate diss!

ReputationRep:
    haha yes i would!

You can change how you acts but you can't change the looks you were born with. I'd feel so ugly.

ReputationRep:
    Better looking I think, because then I could just attribute it to that, write him off as being a shallow ass and would be content with the fact that it was all based on looks and the relationship would crumble in no time at all. Whereas if they were ugly id probably think that well she must be a really nice person for him to have gone for someone who wasnt very attractive, which would probably mean a longer relationship and them living happy ever after.

Having said that, I dont think like that at all :p: I can just imagine that scenario.
    Id probably just think he was a ****** either way.

ReputationRep:
    Someone uglier would be better. Then I could make excuses, like "We just clashed", "we just weren't meant to be", "I wasn't the type of person he needed".

If she was some hot piece of ass there'd be no justification other than "Oh god, I must be hideous, look what he's got now..." :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it might help in the slightest bit :p:

ReputationRep:
    Better looking..

if she was ugly, then i'd probably assume that he thinks i'm uglier than her.

oh so shallow

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather the better looking person.

At least that way, you can think "Ah well, (s)he was just a shallow ********."

Instead of "Wow, (s)he hideous. Can't be for their looks. They must have an amazing personality. I must seem so bland "

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather it was someone ugly. At least that way it's more likely to be an emotional match, rather than simply lustful. This is, of course, if the person decided to leave me. If it's just an 'affair', I'd rather it was sexual infidelity than emotional infidelity.

ReputationRep:
    Really hot would definitely be better. I could just label him as shallow, it'd be easier to move on. I'd really much rather my looks didn't compare than my personality.

ReputationRep:
    But everyone is shallow to some extent and I'd think if I was too ugly for him (ie if bf left for a prettier girl) then I'd keep being left for prettier girls forever and just give up on life.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hmm, I think I'd rather it was someone a bit uglier than me. Not hugely uglier 'cause then I'd get insecure about my personality, but not prettier as I think it would be some sort of consolation if I thought I was better-looking. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit, i'm suprised at the number of girls sayin they would prefer to be left for somebody better looking. Would that not p*** you off?

Personally as a male, i would rather my girl leave me for somebody less attractive purely for the fact that it would be an "emotional match" as Murr said above.

ReputationRep:
    Someone ugly

ReputationRep:
    i think that iv my bf cheated on me i wud indefinatley rip his *******s off. if he cheated on me with an ugly girl i wud feel ugly myself, as in to say jesus am i that bad looking that you have to go lower than me!! hehe
    but i hope that he wud never cheat on my two years and still no sign of going off each other so its looking ok for future.
    i suppose everyone is shallow, ppl say that its personality thats counts but can you really go out with someone who looks like gollum but has the personality of lee evans?? i dont think so. lol xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.