The Student Room Group

Why are people homophobic?

I’m not gay but after seeing all the homophobia and some awful trends why are people homophobic.

Like I get it, you might disagree with something but that’s your business. Why do people feel the need to butt into other ppls business and enforce their views on them. Like they’re not hurting you?

I just don’t understand why would one go such a mile, especially to the point of attacking someone v

Scroll to see replies

religion may be one of the reasons
They grew-up being taught it was wrong and struggle now to change their point of view.
Very few people actually are nowadays tbh.
Whilst some people genuinely are homophobic if the left keeps making more and more things 'homophobic' then you will obviously see more homophobes.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Whilst some people genuinely are homophobic if the left keeps making more and more things 'homophobic' then you will obviously see more homophobes.

could you give examples?
Reply 6
Whenever there's anything to disagree on, people will always take it too far, and I'm sure much worse has been done for much dumber reasons in the past. Its just one of those things that's going to take time, and until then (and even after then), people are going to act out of line. The only real thing we can do on a small scale is acknowledge and bring attention to that.
Original post by Kangaroo17
could you give examples?

I dont support public pride events or a pride month, I dont really care what a gay person does in a private enviroment, but I do not support such actions in public, nor would I accept it if there were straight pride events in public. To many this means I am an evil homophobe yet I am not.
Original post by Alayna1234
I’m not gay but after seeing all the homophobia and some awful trends why are people homophobic.

Like I get it, you might disagree with something but that’s your business. Why do people feel the need to butt into other ppls business and enforce their views on them. Like they’re not hurting you?

I just don’t understand why would one go such a mile, especially to the point of attacking someone v

This can be applied in the reverse too. I don't support the LGBT+ community but I'm not against it either, I'm just in the middle just don't want to get involved and I've been verbally attacked and called homophobic. People have been telling me You're homophobic if you don't support them."
I dont support public pride events or a pride month, I dont really care what a gay person does in a private enviroment, but I do not support such actions in public, nor would I accept it if there were straight pride events in public. To many this means I am an evil homophobe yet I am not.

The same thing has been said to me

do you accept straight people doing "such actions in public"? I get seeing gay people doing such actions in public would seem more sexual i guess because its more "open" (idk how to explain) but still...

could you give more examples? i don't think most would see that as homophobic, but you just seem to be insecure
do you accept straight people doing "such actions in public"? I get seeing gay people doing such actions in public would seem more sexual i guess because its more "open" (idk how to explain) but still...

could you give more examples? i don't think most would see that as homophobic, but you just seem to be insecure

I already said I would not accept straight pride events. and yes many people do see it as homophobic. and also how am I insecure?
(edited 4 years ago)

Did you even read his reply properly? He said he wouldn't support "such actions in public" even if they were straight pride events/actions in public. How is it seen as more sexual? No one mentioned that, only you did, which is quite strange that you feel that way towards it.

You can't speak for most people btw and could you please explain how this links to insecurity?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hiro2468
Did you even read his reply properly? He said he wouldn't support "such actions in public" even if they were straight pride events/actions in public. How is it seen as more sexual? No one mentioned that, only you did, which is quite strange that you feel that way towards it.

You can't speak for most people btw and could you please explain how this links to insecurity?

thank you mr obvious, i know that. What i was wondering was would he support straight people kissing in public? becuase thats pretty normal. I've seen it happen numerous times. I was wondering what take he had on that.

And i was wondering if he felt uncomfortable about it because its normalising sexual activities which should be done "in private"

I already said I would not accept straight pride events. and yes many people do see it as homophobic. and also how am I insecure?

You seem insecure or defensive, in that you always mention the supposed 'left' and seek to project your views. Nothing wrong with projecting your views, but like i said, you seem to be defensive.

would you support straight people kissing in public?
thank you mr obvious, i know that. What i was wondering was would he support straight people kissing in public? becuase thats pretty normal. I've seen it happen numerous times. I was wondering what take he had on that.

And i was wondering if he felt uncomfortable about it because its normalising sexual activities which should be done "in private"

You seem insecure or defensive, in that you always mention the supposed 'left' and seek to project your views. Nothing wrong with projecting your views, but like i said, you seem to be defensive.

Nothing wrong with naming the enemy is there?

A little peck sure but I dont really think that full on big displays of affection should be too accepted in public, I also dont support pride because it is full of so much fetish stuff and having pride for fetishes is actually rather sickening and immoral.
(edited 4 years ago)

Again how are they insecure? And when have they mentioned the supposed 'left'? You seem to be putting words to his words that he hasn't even said.

So from what I understand, what you're saying is that there's nothing wrong with projecting your views but if you do you're automatically being defensive?

Do you understand what being insecure or defensive is?
Because some people get enjoyment from being ignorant tossers.
Nothing wrong with naming the enemy is there?

A little peck sure but I dont really think that full on big displays of affection should be too accepted in public, I also dont support pride because it is full of so much fetish stuff and having pride for fetishes is actually rather sickening and immoral.

Not at all. But for everyone, enemies may vary.

And i agree, i feel kinda uncomfortable with big displays of affection in sight of the public, but its not a big issue for me becuase not a lot of people do it.

But what about pride events that are not about fetishes? Just searched up a few pics, and most don't seem to be sexual.. I guess pride events will only die down when it becomes normalised. When that will happen idk. After all homophobia still exists, or at least has had laws against it that were abolished rather recently.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hiro2468
Again how are they insecure? And when have they mentioned the supposed 'left'? You seem to be putting words to his words that he hasn't even said.

So from what I understand, what you're saying is that there's nothing wrong with projecting your views but if you do you're automatically being defensive?

Do you understand what being insecure or defensive is?

Yes he has, it's literally there. Goodbye.

And what i was saying was that OP asked a question about why people are homophobic, and he immediately brought to attention about how the left is saying more and more things are homophobic (which i don't exactly agree too it increasing, but i do agree some "left" people are over the top and shouldn't be taken seriously).

He didn't mention people genuinely are homophobic due to cultural upbringing, religion etc.
Yes he has, it's literally there. Goodbye.

And what i was saying was that OP asked a question about why people are homophobic, and he immediately brought to attention about how the left is saying more and more things are homophobic (which i don't exactly agree too it increasing, but i do agree some "left" people are over the top and shouldn't be taken seriously).

He didn't mention people genuinely are homophobic due to cultural upbringing, religion etc.

That was my mistake I didn't read his first post. My bad.

Can you answer my question about why it makes him insecure?

Quick Reply

Latest