Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am applying for a degree in economics 2009. I was just wondering which teacher I should let write my reference. I think a math teacher would be best, since i'm not reading any economics course and mathematics play a big role in university economics. It's just that I have other teachers who will write more favourable references for me. I'll put it down on a scale from 1 - 10, where 10 is the most favourable and 1 is the least. Which teacher should I let write my reference?

Mathematics teacher - 7
    Swedish teacher - 10 (I'm from Sweden)
    English teacher - 9
    Physics teacher - 8-9
    Chemistry teacher - 8-9

Sincerely,
    Capoc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capocrimini)
    Hello!

I am applying for a degree in economics 2009. I was just wondering which teacher I should let write my reference. I think a math teacher would be best, since i'm not reading any economics course and mathematics play a big role in university economics. It's just that I have other teachers who will write more favourable references for me. I'll put it down on a scale from 1 - 10, where 10 is the most favourable and 1 is the least. Which teacher should I let write my reference?

Mathematics teacher - 7
    English teacher - 9
    Physics teacher - 8-9
    Chemistry teacher - 8-9

Sincerely,
    Capoc
    Your Swedish teacher has nothing to do with Economics, and asking him/her would seem suspicious. I guess you could get away with any of the others - do you not have a form tutor? If they'd write a good reference, why not ask them?

Please ignore me if you don't have a form tutor, I'm only about to start college, not leave

ReputationRep:
    Your English is very good!
    I would say get the teacher that likes you more, so the Swedish teacher to do it, and mention how good you are at maths and physics and Chemistry! Thats what I would do.
    I met a nice Swedish man when I was out for a night out with my friends the other week! =)

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that you should get the teacher who knows you best and who is likely to write the best things for you - it doesn't matter what they teach!
    So you can get your Swedish teacher to write it with some reference to your maths/physics/chemistry skills, as lsill1 said

ReputationRep:
    profseverus...Greys anatomy is my McLife...that is brilliant!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsill1)
    profseverus...Greys anatomy is my McLife...that is brilliant!!!

lol thanks it is !

ReputationRep:
    Imo, the teacher that likes you best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    I guess you could get away with any of the others
    It's just that I'm applying for highly competitive Universities, so it still needs to be really good. Will my letting my physics teacher write the reference put me in a disadvantageous position when applying? I'm applying for LSE, Cam, War, UCL and Nottingham. I have sufficient grades, ECs and W/E, so don't bother pointing that out.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, tripple clicked >.<

ReputationRep:
    Read above... Again, I'm terribly sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Read above... Again, I'm terribly sorry.
    If "double posters deserve to die!", you'll be going straight to Hell!

Don't worry, you're a noob, so I'll let you off :p:

(Only joking, I'm really not bothered)

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Mathematics teacher - 7
    English teacher - 9
    Physics teacher - 8-9
    Chemistry teacher - 8-9

Sincerely,
    Capoc

Why dont u get them all to write a short reference with your mathematics being the first to indicate its importance?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try and get your headmaster/principal to write it? Some of my friends asked our principal and although he didn't know them very well, he wrote amazing references to help them get to into the top universities (including some of the ones that you mentioned) for their sakes and because it looks good for the school if pupils get to the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    It's just that I'm applying for highly competitive Universities, so it still needs to be really good. Will my letting my physics teacher write the reference put me in a disadvantageous position when applying? I'm applying for LSE, Cam, War, UCL and Nottingham. I have sufficient grades, ECs and W/E, so don't bother pointing that out.
    I think back when I applied (2 decades ago!) the school had a teacher who's job it was to do references.

What makes you think that the teachers will give references with those different ratings?

Oh and get your Personal Statement checked out by the PS Helper service.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.