Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which universities are worth applying to for Business Economics?

I am predicted 40 points for the IB diploma (excluding bonus points), which is around AAA for A-levels.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know. Just apply for straight economics - much more respected and all good universities offer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Don't know. Just apply for straight economics - much more respected and all good universities offer it.
    Not you again. Give me relevant advice or sod off! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, fine. Westminster, hertfordshire and quite a few other ex-polys offer it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, fine. Westminster, hertfordshire and quite a few other ex-polys offer it.
    Alright, i'll bear those in mind.

Any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I myself have applied just for Business Management at Aston but I know they offer economics and management as a degree.
    As they are one of the best uni's in the country for their business degrees they ask for AAB, maybe worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desiret91)
    Alright, i'll bear those in mind.

Any other suggestions?
    I think Exeter is the best university that offers the course.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, "worth"?

I would imagine Durham, Exeter, Aston, Cardiff, Lancaster, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Warwick, Queens University Belfast and Loughborough.

The three in bold probably being the front runners but the rest aren't far behind.

But this is just a very general list.

It really depends on what you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)

I would imagine Durham, Exeter, Aston, Cardiff, Lancaster, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Warwick, Queens University Belfast and Loughborough.

The three in bold probably being the front runners but the rest aren't far behind.

Warwick offer Industrial economics, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick offer Industrial economics, I think.
    Oh, I was going to say. One of those (Warwick) is industrial economics rather than business economics

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...conomics/l112/

There's another uni there which isn't straight business economics. Can't remember which, sorry. It's just a general guide though.

But as I said, just a general guide. If you don't like Warwick then Exeter, Durham, Aston and possibly Lancaster are up though. All of those universities are strong unis though. Especially the larger Russell Group ones (Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff) though their economics courses may not match the smaller insitutions such as Exeter and Lanc.aster

Have a look around, make up your own mind as best you can.

ReputationRep:

When I say 'worth', I mean which are realistic to apply for (in terms of grades: check out my predicted grades in the OP) and which are decent for reputation. I'm an international student, so it's difficult for me to select universities based on location, size and appearance (although I have visited Cardiff which is absolutely stunning!)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I was going to say. One of those (Warwick) is industrial economics rather than business economics

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...conomics/l112/

There's another uni there which isn't straight business economics. Can't remember which, sorry. It's just a general guide though.

But as I said, just a general guide. If you don't like Warwick then Exeter, Durham, Aston and possibly Lancaster are up though. All of those universities are strong unis though. Especially the larger Russell Group ones (Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff) though their economics courses may not match the smaller insitutions such as Exeter and Lanc.aster

Have a look around, make up your own mind as best you can.
    Must admit, Newcastle looks attractive in the photos. What is their reputation like?

ReputationRep:
    Must admit, Newcastle looks attractive in the photos. What is their reputation like?
    Similar reputation to Manchester, Birmingham etc.

ReputationRep:
    When I say 'worth', I mean which are realistic to apply for (in terms of grades: check out my predicted grades in the OP)!)
    Sure, but for business economics 38 points/AAB will meet the requirements of any school, even the top (as far as I'm aware). I don't think you should have any great problems.

and which are decent for reputation. I'm an international student, so it's difficult for me to select universities based on location, size and appearance (although I have visited Cardiff which is absolutely stunning!)
    Sure, and the unis I outlined are (largely) the most prestigious. It's what I thought you meant. Durham is one of the elite unis and the only top 10 uni to offer business economics (as far as I'm aware). It has a long history and an excellent reputattion amongst employers.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/

However its business and economics departsments are, arguably, amongst its weakest. This is just my opinion but they seem to departments aimed more at the postgrad than undergrad (something unusual in Durham).

The city is a beautiful and historic mediaeval city. It is, however, tiny as a city. Despite its beauty it may not be to your tastes. There's plenty to do in Durham, vibrant student societires and sport especially. Student theatre is also quite big. However it doesn't offer the nightclubs and range of bars that you can get in larger cities. It's possible to go to Newcastle for a night out (12 minutes by train) but given the expense involved in travelling back by taxi it doesn't make Newcastle a realistic nightly alternative.

It also has more than an Oxbridge feel to it. This may, or may not, appeal.

Cardiff is lovely, I agree. I've only been there once (just to see R.E.M back in 2005). I'm going there for a proper three day visit in August (while seeing R.E.M again ) Its green city, a great mix of old and new. It has undergone redevelopment and regeneration in the past few years without losing its identity.

Back to rep then, yes, you can't really go wrong with any of those universities. You have the one (possibly two - should you include Warwick) elite universities. Other top (but smallish) unis strong in business/economics (Exeter, Lancaster) and then the large Russell Group universities (Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, QUB, Cardiff). Major universities, quite large research intensive unis with strong employment records and solid reputations (even if economics/business aren't their strongest areas).

So what sort of city are you looking for, large? What nightlife appeals to you? Anything else?

Also it was Newcastle that didn't offer business economics but financial and business economics instead

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/c...ness_Economics

ReputationRep:
    It's a Russell Group, major research intensive uni, so very good and solid. Yes, broadly similar to Manchester and the like.

Do you want to have the sales pitch about Newcastle as a city? I can give you one

If the course still appeals (as it's not strictly business economics) then have a look at this: -

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...489418,00.html

Just don't pay any attention to the Guardian rankings as they're crap!

ReputationRep:
    Industrial economics at Nottingham is pretty decent too.

ReputationRep:
    I've made an initial list:

Manchester
    Nottingham
    Cardiff
    Newcastle
    Exeter

Should I include Durham? Their typical offer is 38 points, but i'm only predicted 36.

ReputationRep:
    I've made an initial list:

Manchester
    Nottingham
    Cardiff
    Newcastle
    Exeter

Should I include Durham? Their typical offer is 38 points, but i'm only predicted 36.
    Oops, sorry, I thought it was 36. It's up to you really. Wouldn't you mind studying in a small city with very posh/Oxbrdige feel. I just know it's something that appeals to probably as many people as it does not appeal to. Usually just the invert snobs have a problem with it

If you want to then once choice is worth a gamble I suppose. If they really like the look of you they may give you a lower offer (unlikely, but still possible) or you may just exceed your prediction.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are a lot of universities that offer Business/Industrial Economics. Here is a sample of universities and courses you could look into:

University of Bristol
    - BSc Economics and Management

University of Leeds
    - BA Economics and Management
    - BA Business Economics
    - BSc Business and Financial Economics

University of Liverpool
    - BA Business Economics

University of Manchester
    - BA International Business, Finance and Economics
    - BA Business Studies and Economics

University of Newcastle
    - BA Economics and Business Management
    - BA Financial and Business Economics

University of Nottingham
    - BA Industrial Economics

University of Sheffield
    - BA Management and Economics

University of Southampton
    - BSc Economics and Management Sciences

University of Warwick
    - BSc Industrial Economics

Although 36 points can be referred to as AAB, the reality is that not all universities treat the IB the same, and therefore you'll have to contact each university separately to see how they view the IB and how many points will be required.

ReputationRep:
    be warned that the business department at durham is not actually in durham, but stockton! not sure if that would apply for this, but it has business modules, so it might be, so have a look at that, personally i wouldnt want to think i was going to durham to end up in stockton!

loughborough's business economics course is highly regarded, especially among employers, i would say thats up there too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.