Extreme anxiety after 5 hours of isolation? Watch

TenementFunster
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, today at school, new rules came into place in which there would be a very strict warning system. This warning system made it so that after 2 warnings (no matter what they’re for), you will be sent to a room where you are supervised as you are deemed “too misbehaved to be trusted”. I ended up getting 2 warnings, 1 for talking (although discreetly) and the other for supposed defiance to a teacher (because I didn’t sit up straight). This meant I was sent to the room. In this room there were 60 students who were all likely in the same position as me as it is now VERY easy to get in trouble. 5 kids were on temporary exclusion (which only requires one extra warning after your other 2). In this room, you are ordered to spend the rest of the day doing a booklet which contained really stupid questions such as “if you could have any super power, what would it be?” (We’re in secondary school). I was sent earlier in the day which mean I had to spend about 4-5 hours in there. 2 hours in, I began to lose my sanity. I was desperately planning escape routes, stabbing my fingers with my pen and my head was numb. I cried 3x over boredom and the fact that my head was hurting due to the droning of machinery outside. I couldn’t talk to anyone or move. After my 4-5 hours was up, I just broke down. I began laugh maniacally and then had a panic attack. I’m genuinely still shocked at everything and I would rather die than ever go back to that room. Is it possible to go crazy after 5 hours of this or is it just me? I’ve spent the rest of my day crying and having panic attacks for no reason. I’m not sure what has brought this all on.
LegitLizard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
bump. but this seems way too harsh. cruel and unusual punishment perhaps. talk to your parents and get them to go to the school. any headteacher will listen after a good earful.
TenementFunster
Rep:
?
(Original post by LegitLizard)
bump. but this seems way too harsh. cruel and unusual punishment perhaps. talk to your parents and get them to go to the school. any headteacher will listen after a good earful.
Forgot to add, my parents did go up the school however the leadership team are trying to defend themselves from a lot of parents by saying “we’re monitoring our behaviour system and testing new methods of discipline” which in my opinion is plain stupid because it’s not hard to come up with fair discipline.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_princessxox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would have just walked out, the fact that you have to sit in isolation for 5 hours with no breaks is disgusting.
If they don't change it threaten to go to the press, or actually do. In the meantime just refuse to do it for the sake of your mental health and encourage others to stand up to it as well.
TenementFunster
Rep:
?
I’m considering this actually. A lot of kids were intentionally trying to get excluded because they couldn’t handle the punishment so I’m considering emailing ofsted about it. A lot of people seem to agree that it’s borderline abusive. The school put the punishment in place to try and target “bad kids” so they’d have an excuse to kick them out and get their ratings up (which isn’t entirely fair considering these kids have tough home lives). This isn’t gonna look very good on their parts ironically.
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think I would go bloody insane! Five hours? There's only so much of something like that I think anyone at the age of a secondary-school pupil could withstand. That's brutal. It feels like incarceration.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I personally could do that easily, wouldn't even feel like a punishment.
nabilahhh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My secondary school used to do that
Igori
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it not a humiliation of human dignity?
TenementFunster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ok, trump
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
I personally could do that easily, wouldn't even feel like a punishment.
Leviathanzzz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Totally counts as cruel and unusual punishment. 5 hours isolation with at best pointless and at worse degrading "work" is unacceptable in an institution of education.

I suggest if it happens again, leave. It seems your parents were already willing to go in, so you have two very nice outcomes. Either they try and give some disproportionate punishment and your parents get called in, in which case great. You now have two adults willing to stand up to them who they can't just treat like shite. Or better yet, they let it go, realise you won't take their shite. As long as you have parents who stand by you, thing will go your way. Why? Because you'd be in the right and the school ****ing knows that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads