FP2 or FP3 Watch

D90
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For further maths next year I can choose which modules I can choose. So I was just wandering which one out of fp2 and fp3 you prefer if take further maths.

Normally I would have thought that fp2 is the easiest but I heard from people in the year above that fp3 is more simple and also there are links with Core 4 in normal maths. Also I know that you don't need knowledge from fp2 to do fp3.

Thanks
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by D90)
For further maths next year I can choose which modules I can choose. So I was just wandering which one out of fp2 and fp3 you prefer if take further maths.

Normally I would have thought that fp2 is the easiest but I heard from people in the year above that fp3 is more simple and also there are links with Core 4 in normal maths. Also I know that you don't need knowledge from fp2 to do fp3.

Thanks
For edexcel, I find that a lot of people find FP3 easier than FP2.

A lot of FP2 is a folow on from the A level syllabus but FP3 has a lot of brand new material.
Tom345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It does seem to be general opinion that FP2 is harder than FP3, however I prefer FP2. FP2 has a lot of integration, FP3 has vectors and matrices...I'm ok with matrices, but I struggle immensely with vectors. (I'm doing both)

Edit: That's for Edexcel, btw.
kabbers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
on OCR, i found FP2 had more interesting questions, but FP3 slightly more interesting, new content.
Krazof
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For AQA, FP2 contains all the complex number stuff while FP3 has all the differential equations. I've only done FP2 but from what I've heard it is the more difficult one. The stuff covered in both modules is very fundamental to higher maths/engineering/whatever study though.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which exam board?

I haven't sat the FP3 exam yet, done FP2, and FP3 does seem easier. Which is better? I dont know, depends what you are looking for. FP2 overall strengthened my maths and manipulation skills more than any other unit. It really forces you to bring a lot of things together. FP3 has Taylor Series, Matrices and these topics are useful for Economics at uni and the like.

Ideally, do both!
vinsta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
FP2 also has extremely low grade boundaries aswell, for edexcel
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I did OCR FP2. It's about 95% integration-related, gets a bit tiresome in the end.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
FP2 also has extremely low grade boundaries aswell, for edexcel
That doesn't count for much because it's harder to score. It does mean though that if you know everything well and are confident, then there is a greater margin for error.
lordcrusade9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
pointless topic, depends entirely on the board...
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by secretmessages)
I did OCR FP2. It's about 95% integration-related, gets a bit tiresome in the end.
That's a bit misleading secret!

OCR FP2 Topics:

Rational Functions and Graphs
Polar Coordinates
Hyperbolic Functions
Differentiation and Integration
Numerical Methods

OCR FP3 Topics:

Differential Equations
Vectors
Complex Numbers
Groups
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
That's a bit misleading secret!
Well, I suppose polar co-ordinates and curve-sketching aren't integration, but the ratio of these to the rest of the module is like 1:10 I found :p:
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by secretmessages)
Well, I suppose polar co-ordinates and curve-sketching aren't integration, but the ratio of these to the rest of the module is like 1:10 I found :p:
You like exaggerating don't you!?
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
You like exaggerating don't you!?
Totally Tom
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if it's AQA don't bother with FP3.

do FP2 instead.

FP3 is like FP2 except there isn't as much in the module. FP3 is easier than FP2, but FP2 is much better and useful for uni work in any field.
D90
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm on the OCR board.

if it helps I am looking to go into economics/maths in the future.
IChem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you like the idea of extremely complex vectors, proof and matrix algebra - FP3

If you like a LOT of integration - FP2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (55)
98.21%
No (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads