ucas personal statement plagiarism Watch

depressedaf
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i heard that ucas have copycheck to see if the personal statement is copied and pasted and I am getting really worried because I have taken lots of wording from different example of personal statement because English isn't my first language and I sound very unprofessional.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by depressedaf)
i heard that ucas have copycheck to see if the personal statement is copied and pasted and I am getting really worried because I have taken lots of wording from different example of personal statement because English isn't my first language and I sound very unprofessional.
If you have taken exact wording from other personal statements online, this can be a form of plagiarism. To what extent have you done this?

If you haven't submitted it, I would strongly recommend you rewrite your personal statement. If English isn't your first language, you could ask a teacher or friend to read it over to make sure it makes sense, but don't turn to taking sections from other personal statements you come across.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by depressedaf)
Have you already submitted your application? If so, there isn't much you can do. If you have plagiarised sections of your statement from elsewhere then this may be flagged to universities.

If you have not yet submitted your statement I would strongly suggest you rewrite it in your own words. Your reference can explain that English is not your first language. You do need to consider that your degree is taught in English and that as part of it you will be expected to write in English in an academic style, so the university will expect the statement to be of a good standard of written English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.84%
No I am happy with my course choice (545)
59.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (129)
14.08%

Watched Threads