My sisters came out Watch

ItsTomii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So two out of my sisters came out and I’m so happy for them. But - I’m not sure what to do now haha.

I just don’t feel comfortable coming out to anyway considering my friends are quite homophobic. But now my sisters keep referring to me as “straight” and saying how much I “love boys” but it’s not so simple.

I’ve been battling my sexuality for so long now and them coming out so easily makes me feel really excited but sick at the same time. I don’t know why I find it so hard but I don’t think I ever can.

What should I do?
ItsTomii
Rep:
?
I always actually hoped they’d be on the LGBTQ+ spec too so I didn’t feel so lonely but now that they are, I’m starting to realise that I’m lonelier than ever.

I want to confide with them but with my friends getting mixed in and such. I don’t know what to do.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ItsTomii)
So two out of my sisters came out and I’m so happy for them. But - I’m not sure what to do now haha.

I just don’t feel comfortable coming out to anyway considering my friends are quite homophobic. But now my sisters keep referring to me as “straight” and saying how much I “love boys” but it’s not so simple.

I’ve been battling my sexuality for so long now and them coming out so easily makes me feel really excited but sick at the same time. I don’t know why I find it so hard but I don’t think I ever can.

What should I do?
If your homophobic friends say something in presence of your sisters, I get mad and would give them a statement they never forget, if I were you. If your sisters are meaningful people in your life, you intervene at all costs.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Kallisto; 3 weeks ago
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wait, all 3 of u are gay?
ItsTomii
Rep:
?
Haha. Three of us are bisexual. We also have another sister but she’s straight. They all believe I’m straight too but I don’t think I’ll be able to come out.
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ItsTomii)

What should I do?
Snatch the opportunity with both hands to be yourself and come out! Your sisters are a great chance for support.! I hope you realise how fortunate you are! And you don't need fake "friends" anyway. Go for it! Now!
Last edited by mgi; 3 weeks ago
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They're making fun of you because they think you're straight? Maybe point out the irony in what they're doing. e.g. it's pride month and they're mocking someone for their sexuality.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
You’re lucky you definitely have 2 sisters (and likely your parents) that will accept you. Can you come out to them but just say while you’re getting used to being ‘out’, can they not share it with anyone else like your friends until you’re comfortable? For your own happiness and health you’ll have to do it one day or another, don’t let your “friends” keep you from living openly. You should honestly tell your friends that you appreciate them but won’t tolerate homophobia from them.
ItsTomii
Rep:
?
Oh oh oh. Our parents are the most homophobic people we’ve ever met lol. They’re always threatening us to never bring back a girlfriend to the house so they haven’t told them that they’re bi.
(Original post by Anonymous)
You’re lucky you definitely have 2 sisters (and likely your parents) that will accept you. Can you come out to them but just say while you’re getting used to being ‘out’, can they not share it with anyone else like your friends until you’re comfortable? For your own happiness and health you’ll have to do it one day or another, don’t let your “friends” keep you from living openly. You should honestly tell your friends that you appreciate them but won’t tolerate homophobia from them.
TaintedLight
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
Is it a stretch to claim their parents are a little gay on the side
ItsTomii
Rep:
?
If only
(Original post by TaintedLight)
Is it a stretch to claim their parents are a little gay on the side
karl pilkington
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You don't need to 'come out' as bisexual.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow you are so lucky! You have your siblings who can support you and understand. My family do not understand me. I have told them I'm not interested in males (I'm female) yet they still think my feelings will change and they are still telling me to look for a Male. It is just sad that noone understands me I'd do anything to have someone in my family who also identifies as LGBT and can understand me! But that's not going to happen sadly

You are really very very lucky!! So you should have no problem coming out! Go do it! And I wish you all the best! Xx
olivia.francesca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tell your sisters in private and ask them to keep this between yourselves. My main piece of advice though is get new friends your other ones are trash
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sexuality is fluid and multifaceted, it changes over time and can be very difficult to pin down. I wouldn't get too hung up with labels and don't let yourself get pressured into rushing into anything.

"Battling your sexuality" is a very concerning position to be in. Instead I'd recommend quietly embracing, accepting and enjoying is a better place to be. You don't have to declare or shout anything from the rooftops - just don't let it make you miserable - it's a gift that will make you very happy as you get older and more able to make make your own independent decisions.

If it'll make you feel better have a chat to any sister you feel close to and think well respect your wishes in regards to privacy and making your own mind up.

With your friends, if they're good friends they're good friends if they aren't as you grow older you'll soon move on and forget about them.

Quite often young people are taught to be hostile towards people with different backgrounds as they mature and have more experience with different people they tend to realise how awful their old behaviour and views were and move on. Again if you have a close friend that you trust and that you think will respect your wishes, perhaps it might be worth talking to them.

If your at school, collage or university you should have access to support resources like counselling and guidance, it may be worth having a chat with them too.

Anyway it's nice that your sister feel they know their sexuality but that shouldn't force you to have to declare your sexuality or really impact your sexuality at all. Instead keep an open mind, like who and what you like and live your own life. Talking about these issues will likely make you feel better, so I'd recommend reaching out to someone you trust be that a third party expert, a family member or friend.
Last edited by JTfoxlove; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (112)
14.2%

Watched Threads