The Student Room Group

Maintenance loans- potential issue!

I haven't yet applied for Student finance b/c I need to make the part-time application and the Student Finance gov site is undergoing maintenance.

This means my application can't be made just yet, and I need to buy some big supplies like a laptop, books... If I buy the laptop now, can I sort of back-date it to say I used the maintenance loan to support the purchase? My sister told me that I'll need to keep a record of all receipts of purchases from the m.loan money. Or is she paranoid?
(It won't be hard anyway- aside from the laptop issue- because most of my purchases would be online.

I can't work it out, though I would feel better doing it the normal way but I can't afford to wait because applications can take ages to be approved! I've not done this before, and don't know anyone who bothered with the loans.

The laptop will be my biggest purchase, so my other question is do they take back the left-over money. Or can I use it for the next yrs because while I'll need the tuition loan every yr (and plan to apply every yr) I know I won't need the maintenance loan. I'm going for the minimum as it is, because of repayment and I don't like the worry of too much in my account! :biggrin:

Thank you in advance for taking your time, I couldn't find any answers on Google! :frown:
once the money goes in your account, it is yours. In the four years I have been at uni I have never been asked to provide a receipt for the maintenance loan. And no, they don't "back pay" you and they won't take back what you are paid and don't use.

if you can afford to get a laptop now, do it but it literally will not make any difference to your SF payments. they won't ask for a receipt. they won't back pay it.

When your application has been processed you will be notified of how much you will be paid across generally three installments. the first will be at the start of your course (I'm assuming you course starts in September/October), the second will be paid in January and the final one will be paid in April/may.
also just wanted to add, if you have applied for DSA (Disabled student allowance) and require a laptop, that's different. The University will pick a laptop for you that best suits your needs and you will be expected to cover some of the costs, depending on the uni I believe you may be expected to cover upto 50% of the cost of the selected laptop yourseld but if you purchase a laptop before hand, they won't back pay you and they will require a receipt of yiur contribution towards the laptop
Reply 3
Thank you, Eilish! Very helpful answer. But all the worrying was for nought! The applications opened today and I discovered that distance-learners (for Open Uni for instance) are not entitled to maintenance loans unless one has a disability. So, I'm going without anyway and just have to save some cash! It's an awful situation and I will probably have to carry on working and not study full-time.

Thinking on it now, there would have been travel expenses too- to exam centres or learning hubs. As well as books, the maintenance loan would have been a good safety net and i'm sure 1yrs worth could have been sufficient. Oh well I suppose.
Original post by Wisefox
Thank you, Eilish! Very helpful answer. But all the worrying was for nought! The applications opened today and I discovered that distance-learners (for Open Uni for instance) are not entitled to maintenance loans unless one has a disability. So, I'm going without anyway and just have to save some cash! It's an awful situation and I will probably have to carry on working and not study full-time.

Thinking on it now, there would have been travel expenses too- to exam centres or learning hubs. As well as books, the maintenance loan would have been a good safety net and i'm sure 1yrs worth could have been sufficient. Oh well I suppose.

does the open University not offer any advice on support funding while studying? surely you must be entitled to some sort of maintenance funding somehow?
Reply 5
They don't unfortunately. Open uni is considered part-time so that's part of the reason- even if one intends to study full-time. I have the time to save, so I'm glad I found out when I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending