The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing 2019 - Juggling Placement and Theory

Hi all,

I would just like a quick insight to what it is like trying to do Uni Work (Theory) while on placement or do you only do this when off placement?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by mte1008
Hi all,

I would just like a quick insight to what it is like trying to do Uni Work (Theory) while on placement or do you only do this when off placement?

Thank you in advance!

It really depends on your university. Most will try wherever possible to ensure you don't have assignments at the same time as placement, however this does happen invariably.

Some placements will allow you a small amount of time (when the ward/area is quiet) to work on your assignment however this is totally at their discretion and some may not be willing to allow this. You would therefore need to study in your own time as well as completing your placement shifts. Some assignments may be directly related to your placement, so you may have some work which needs to be done there (such as observation or data collection).
Reply 2
Every university is so different.

At mine, we tend to have assignments given to us during our theory that are usually completed, or we have the time to complete, before going out on placement. For example, at the beginning of a theory block you may be told you have X Y and Z to complete and the deadline is mid-placement, so you would try to complete it before starting. The only time, so far, that I've had work to complete during my placement that's left over is revising for exams or completing end of year portfolio/workbooks.

You will have paperwork to complete during placement; your assessments, coaching logs with your supervising nurse, clinical skills, etc - again different depending on your uni. So it's just a case of time management and keeping on top of it all.

In terms of balancing it all while on placement, it varies so greatly. Each placement is completely different to another. Personally, I've never been given time on placement to complete any uni work I have (outside those relating to placement).
Yet, friends on my course have been sent home for an afternoon to revise for exams and had their hours signed. Luck of the draw with that one.

On the flip side, I have friends at a neighbouring university where they have academic assignments consistently throughout the year even during placement. They have a heck of a lot more essays to write than I do. Again, it comes down to time management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending