Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm Victor and I'm currently studying medicine (preclinical training) in Germany? I would like to know if there are any possibilities to continue in the UK? Or perhaps, if I can transfer after finishing my preclinical training?

Where do I have to apply? What do I have to do?

I would really appreciate some hints.

Thx,
    Victor

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Victor, welcome to TSR.

Being honest, I don't really know.

As an German national (I presume) and a graduate of an school within the EU you will be able to apply for medicine jobs in the UK.

You may face some discrimination for being German trained but applications for jobs in the UK are blinded - they won't know who you you are where you trained.

I would strongly suggest you speak to your careers service about professional registration and how that applies to the UK because I don't know.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it, German med graduates are expected to do a year like F1 before they're awarded their degrees. So you'd be looking at an F2 level application. Being from the EU you should be treated the same as any UK graduate. Contact the GMC (http://www.gmc-uk.org/about/contacts/index.asp) to make sure you're eligible for full registration and away you go. Look in the BMJ and the NHS jobs website to find jobs you want to apply for.

ReputationRep:
    ok, I´ll check the website. Thanks alot.

But just to make it sure: I´m not looking to work ("job") in the UK after finishing my preclinical training, because I will not enough clinical knowledge whatsoever. I´m just looking to find out if I can continue my medical academic education in the UK. I´m in the 4th semester right now and plan to study here 2 more and then continue in the UK. So where do I have to apply? UCAS? Is it possible?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    It's feasible probably, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely mate.

I've worked with plenty of German trained doctors - generally excellent, generally psychiatrists.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you want to transfer to a UK university half way through the course, this is quite difficult to do, I would advise you to complete your education in germany, you can come here right after graduation and start F1.

Brighton & Sussex Medical School
    "Entry is only into year 1 of BSMS, on the basis of either A level (or similar) qualifications achieved or completed degree qualifications (e.g. a class 2(i) honours degree). Entry with advanced standing is not possible, as key Clinical Skills and essential clinical experience are gained within the year 1 of the integrated BSMS curriculum. Partly completed degree grades will not normally be accepted as an entry qualification for BSMS."

University of Birmingham
    "Transfers are not normally considered."

University of Bristol
    "Unfortunately, due to the integrated nature of all the Medicine programmes at Bristol, it is not possible to transfer from another course at Bristol or another University. In exceptional circumstances (family or health problems) we may consider transfers, but this could entail having to repeat a year of study."

University of Cardiff
    "It is not the practice of Cardiff University's Medical School to accept transfers from other medical courses in the United Kingdom. In exceptional cases, for example extraordinary health or personal circumstances, the Board of Studies may agree to a transfer into the
    MBBCH course in Wales.

University of Dundee
    "Transfers are not normally considered from other courses. Occasionally, where there are compelling extenuating circumstances, the Committee may exercise discretion. It should, however, be recognised that transfer to the integrated curriculum is difficult and most applicants will be required to begin the first year of the course, if accepted."

University of Glasgow
    Transfer applications from candidates studying at another institution may be considered under exceptional circumstances. Enquiries should be made to the Admissions Secretary in the first instance."

Hull York Medical School
    "We do not accept transfer students from other medical schools because of the integrated nature of the HYMS course. We do not accept applications from anyone who has been enrolled at another medical school in the UK or abroad."

University of Keele
    "Please note that students who have failed medical degree programmes elsewhere will not be considered. Only in exceptional circumstances will transfer requests be considered from other EU Medical Schools."

King's College London (GKT)
    We do not accept applications for transfer from medical schools outside the UK."

University of Leeds
    "Transfers are not encouraged and will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Further information should be obtained directly from the
    Admissions Office."

University of Leicester
    "We will only consider transfers from another medical course in exceptional circumstances."

University of Liverpool
    "Competition for places to study medicine is very intense, and as a result transfers from other Universities or from other courses within the University of Liverpool are NOT considered."

University of Manchester
    "Owing to the highly integrated structure of the degree programme, the School does not grant exemption from any subject. Transfers from other courses are not considered."

University of Newcastle
    "Due to the integrated nature of our medical degree programme, we do not normally consider students wishing to transfer from another medical school. Such students would be expected to apply to Stage 1 entry, via UCAS, provided they have not previously been considered and declined by us. ."

University of Nottingham
    "Because of the integrated nature of the course, students are not able to transfer into the Medical School from other faculties within the University or from other universities."

Queen Mary University of London (Barts and The London)
    "Because all our medical and dental courses are integrated, we do not consider applications from candidates wishing to transfer to medicine or dentistry from other university courses. For the same reason we do not normally consider candidates wishing to transfer from other medical or dental schools, except in the most serious personal extenuating circumstances."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custer)
    Basically, you want to transfer to a UK university half way through the course,
    Wot?

Dunno where you got that list from but it's not particularly accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Wot?
    That's what he's saying...

(Original post by Vhyrusz)
    But just to make it sure: I´m not looking to work ("job") in the UK after finishing my preclinical training, because I will not enough clinical knowledge whatsoever.
    I´m just looking to find out if I can continue my medical academic education in the UK. I´m in the 4th semester right now and plan to study here 2 more and then continue in the UK. So where do I have to apply? UCAS? Is it possible?
    Transferring half way through the course is difficult, most uni's say they will only consider it in extenuating circumstances.

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad...5/transfer.htm
    However, applicants for transfer should be aware that requests to transfer are rarely granted and only students with exceptional circumstances will be considered.
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p...fers/index.htm
    The Medical School regrets that it is currently unable to consider transfer applications from universities other than Oxford and Cambridge, which have a formal agreement with the London Medical Schools, because of high student numbers and restricted capacity...
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/medic/degre...icy%202007.pdf
    It is not the usual practice of Cardiff University's Medical School to accept transfers from other medical courses in the United Kingdom. In exceptional cases, for example extraordinary health or personal circumstances, the Board of Studies may agree to a transfer into the MBBCh course.
    http://www.hyms.ac.uk/prospectus/doc...s_2008_RGB.pdf
    Applicants from other medicalschools
    We do not accept transfer of students from other medical schools because of the integrated nature of the HYMS course.
    We do not accept applications from anyone who has been enrolled at another medical school in the UK or abroad.
    http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...MD_PG_2008.pdf
    Because all our medical and dental courses are integrated, we do not consider applications from candidates wishing to transfer to medicine or dentistry from other university courses. For the same reason we do not normally consider candidates wishing to transfer from other medical or dental schools, except in the most serious personal extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custer)
    That's what he's saying...

Transferring half way through the course is difficult, most uni's say they will only consider it in extenuating circumstances.

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad...5/transfer.htm

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p...fers/index.htm

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/medic/degre...icy%202007.pdf

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/prospectus/doc...s_2008_RGB.pdf

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...MD_PG_2008.pdf
    That's an impressive amount of work, but certainly the entry for BL is wrong, we have plenty of people transfer in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    That's an impressive amount of work,
    Naa, list was on admissionsforum.net, but they got the info from websites and prospectuses. I guess its probably best to phone up universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    That's an impressive amount of work, but certainly the entry for BL is wrong, we have plenty of people transfer in.
    Woah. Never knew that - I was under the impression that very few, if any, medical schools accept transfers from other unis in the UK, let alone from other countries.. (exception being those with 'extraordinary' personal circumstances, of course)
    Don't they have trouble adjusting the people in? I can't imagine massive overlaps in curriculum exist everywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbons)
    Woah. Never knew that - I was under the impression that very few, if any, medical schools accept transfers from other unis in the UK, let alone from other countries.. (exception being those with 'extraordinary' personal circumstances, of course)
    Don't they have trouble adjusting the people in? I can't imagine massive overlaps in curriculum exist everywhere?
    All the London schools accept transfers as do Oxford & Cambridge and Manchester (IIRC).

ReputationRep:
    Someone from Southampton is transferring to Barts from the year below me and we have someone from Kings.

I nearly applied to transfer back home but thought better of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    All the London schools accept transfers as do Oxford & Cambridge and Manchester (IIRC).
    That's cool. I guess the cliche about learning something new everyday does hold some truth after all :p:

And add Southampton to that list too!

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, thanks very much.

I think I'll just contact the unis directly, write them an e-mail or smth.

If you come up with other things, don't hesitate to contact me....and if you want some info about medicine in germany, trainings or practical instructions, just ask.

thx,
    victor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Oxbridge tend to export though - because they have smaller clinical schools. I've heard of Aberdeen exporting as well, not sure if they let people in though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Oxbridge tend to export though - because they have smaller clinical schools. I've heard of Aberdeen exporting as well, not sure if they let people in though.
    We certainly export more than we import, but we do get a few extras each year - in my year about 8 from St Andrew's, one from Nottingham and a couple from elsewhere. Oxford take about 25-30 of our lot (they ship out a lot fewer as they don't have as many pre-clinical places). We have taken Oxford people in the past but AFAIK don't have any in my year.

My main concern would be whether the way German training works would co-ordinate with ours enough.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2008

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.