The Student Room Group

how valuable and difficult are language A-levels

is doing multiple language A-levels a good idea? or should i go with other subjects to be more well rounded.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by spaekles
is doing multiple language A-levels a good idea? or should i go with other subjects to be more well rounded.

Hey! I am also doing two language A-Levels!
I think, whether or not this is a good idea depends a lot on you - I want to do Languages at university so doing two at A-Level is indeed helpful for me.

Languages are seen as facilitating subjects and also as ones that are difficult. This is good because it shows academic ability and most universities will recognise the work required.

If you are doing 4 A-Levels with 2 of those being languages, I would warn you of the workload, however, If you are determined, and think you can still get high grades this shouldn't be an issue...

What other subjects are you thinking of doing? Do you know what you want to do at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by lottielsie
Hey! I am also doing two language A-Levels!
I think, whether or not this is a good idea depends a lot on you - I want to do Languages at university so doing two at A-Level is indeed helpful for me.

Languages are seen as facilitating subjects and also as ones that are difficult. This is good because it shows academic ability and most universities will recognise the work required.

If you are doing 4 A-Levels with 2 of those being languages, I would warn you of the workload, however, If you are determined, and think you can still get high grades this shouldn't be an issue...

What other subjects are you thinking of doing? Do you know what you want to do at uni?

I will be doing some sort of social science/humanities subject at uni (e.g. English, Psychology, Politics, etc) not sure right now which one I'm gonna take. Which language are you doing if u don't mind me asking? Is A levels language different from regular language course? I did a few months of German language course so I thought I'd just turn it into an A level to help my uni admission chances. I was also advised to take Maths because it's a "mandatory" subject they say. But I'd much rather do languages since it comes to me way easier than Maths. What do you think?
2 languages sound fantastic. They're extremely valuable and are as facilitating as subjects like History etc. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. You could do 2 languages + History/English Lit/Philo/Econ/a science/Maths/anything at all.

I've already graduated from university but this is what I did:

AS equivalent - English Lit, History, Spanish, French and Religious+Ethics
A2 equivalent - English Lit, History and Spanish

I didn't do French for A2 because my school didn't offer it... Otherwise, I most likely would've done English Lit, French, Spanish (and, if I really wanted to, possibly History as a fourth).

I did a languages degree at university, by the way. Feel free to ask me anything! :fluffy:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest