Funding for Graduate Entry Dentistry Watch

TheMolarBear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi SFE,
I’ve spoken with you guys on Facebook a while back about what I would be eligible for if I was to gain a place on graduate entry dentistry. You said that I’d be self funding the first (approx) £3500 of tuition fees in first year, get the rest on a tuition fee loan and then be able to get a maintenance loan. Thereafter, I would get NHS funding for part of the tuition fees and then a student loan for the remainder for years 2-4. Then potentially get an NHS bursary and reduced maintenance loan. However I wanted to confirm this before I apply and came across the attached document on your website saying graduate entry dentistry students wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan - so I’m panicking right now! Could you please confirm what is correct? I’ve seen you advice someone else on this forum that they WOULD get the tuition fee loan as grad entry dentistry is an exception but I’m just confused as to why your website says different.
The course is at UCLan and called Graduate Entry Dentistry. (I think it’s complicated as I need a degree to get in but it’s neither postgrad or undergrad!)
I’ve previously done BSc Hons oral health sciences at Edinburgh uni and had loans for majority of that degree.

Thank you so much.Name:  1CA02875-6E95-4AD2-8EC0-9D64D316B261.jpg.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  23.1 KB
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jen SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheMolarBear)
Hi SFE,
I’ve spoken with you guys on Facebook a while back about what I would be eligible for if I was to gain a place on graduate entry dentistry. You said that I’d be self funding the first (approx) £3500 of tuition fees in first year, get the rest on a tuition fee loan and then be able to get a maintenance loan. Thereafter, I would get NHS funding for part of the tuition fees and then a student loan for the remainder for years 2-4. Then potentially get an NHS bursary and reduced maintenance loan. However I wanted to confirm this before I apply and came across the attached document on your website saying graduate entry dentistry students wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan - so I’m panicking right now! Could you please confirm what is correct? I’ve seen you advice someone else on this forum that they WOULD get the tuition fee loan as grad entry dentistry is an exception but I’m just confused as to why your website says different.
The course is at UCLan and called Graduate Entry Dentistry. (I think it’s complicated as I need a degree to get in but it’s neither postgrad or undergrad!)
I’ve previously done BSc Hons oral health sciences at Edinburgh uni and had loans for majority of that degree.

Thank you so much.Name:  1CA02875-6E95-4AD2-8EC0-9D64D316B261.jpg.jpeg
Views: 16
Size:  23.1 KB
Hi there,

Please be aware that the first part under this paragraph is referring to undergraduate medicine or dentistry courses. You should be looking at the second part where it states that graduate entry medical or dentistry programmes attract different funding as we had advised you previously.

Thanks, Jen
Attached files
TheMolarBear
Rep:
?
Thank you, I’m just still unclear if I would be able to get a tuition fee loan for years 2-4?
Jen SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, I’m just still unclear if I would be able to get a tuition fee loan for years 2-4?
Yes, you will. For years 2-4, the first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a Tuition Fee Loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Thanks, Jen
TheMolarBear
Rep:
?
Thank you very much!
Jen SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you very much!
You're very welcome! If you need help with anything else, let me know.

Thanks, Jen
TheMolarBear
Rep:
?
Hi again, sorry to bother you again. Can I just check. On the image above it says in the final paragraph: ‘students studying medicine and dentistry as a second degree will not be able to get a tuition fee loan from us’. That was the part that was worrying me - what does this refer to? Or is this if I wanted to study medicine AND dentistry?
Amy SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi again, sorry to bother you again. Can I just check. On the image above it says in the final paragraph: ‘students studying medicine and dentistry as a second degree will not be able to get a tuition fee loan from us’. That was the part that was worrying me - what does this refer to? Or is this if I wanted to study medicine AND dentistry?
Hi there,

Your eligibility for a Tuition Fee Loan will depend on whether the course is Graduate Entry or Undergraduate Entry. If you study a Graduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course you will receive tuition funding as Jen advised. If you study an Undergraduate Entry Medicine/Dentistry Course as a second degree then you are only eligible for a Maintenance Loan plus any Supplementary Grants where applicable.

Thanks, Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (534)
59.4%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.24%

Watched Threads