The Student Room Group

Music and French at Cambridge

I was wondering for uni if I can study Music and French together at Cambridge? I'd really like to continue studying both, even if one isn't a degree.
You can study a language in your free time with the language centre:
https://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/culp/culp-index.html
some courses (I can think of chemistry and engineering) let you take a culp course as a module in part ii but I skimmed the music handbook and couldn't find anything that suggested this, there is a chunk of German though
https://www.mus.cam.ac.uk/current-students/undergraduate/undergraduate-handbook-2017-18
(edited 4 years ago)
There are also a lot of ways to get involved in playing music without studying it.
Reply 3
It's not about playing music- I want to go into music education and composing, as well as doing something linguistics based in the future. Whilst currently, I'm thinking of primarily studying music at uni, I would like to get a qualification above A levels for French as well :confused:
Original post by studybelle
I was wondering for uni if I can study Music and French together at Cambridge? I'd really like to continue studying both, even if one isn't a degree.

Cambridge does very few joint subject degrees, especially when unrelated. If you want to go to Cambridge, you would have to choose one to do as a degree subject and the other as an interest, albeit a serious one. There is much more opportunity to pursue music as a serious non-degree interest at Cam, than there is for languages. Even people on non-music degrees can find semi-professional ways of continuing music.

You are highly unlikely to be able to pursue an effective career in both linguistics and music education in parallel. But there are more and more opportunities to retrain part way through a working life.
Reply 5
Ok, thanks. I've seen that I can continue French and other languages via the CULP course, and it looks really good. Would you recommend this? If I do choose music as a degree, then I just want to be fluent to give me flexibility for where I work and career options.
Original post by threeportdrift
Cambridge does very few joint subject degrees, especially when unrelated. If you want to go to Cambridge, you would have to choose one to do as a degree subject and the other as an interest, albeit a serious one. There is much more opportunity to pursue music as a serious non-degree interest at Cam, than there is for languages. Even people on non-music degrees can find semi-professional ways of continuing music.

You are highly unlikely to be able to pursue an effective career in both linguistics and music education in parallel. But there are more and more opportunities to retrain part way through a working life.
Reply 6
This looks great, thanks :smile:
Original post by Meowstic
You can study a language in your free time with the language centre:
https://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/culp/culp-index.html
some courses (I can think of chemistry and engineering) let you take a culp course as a module in part ii but I skimmed the music handbook and couldn't find anything that suggested this, there is a chunk of German though
https://www.mus.cam.ac.uk/current-students/undergraduate/undergraduate-handbook-2017-18
Ok, thanks. I've seen that I can continue French and other languages via the CULP course, and it looks really good. Would you recommend this? If I do choose music as a degree, then I just want to be fluent to give me flexibility for where I work and career options.

I'm not sure you would achieve fluency through CULP courses, but if you worked at it, there will be enough French speakers in Cambridge that you could join conversation groups within the university and in the City (through Meetup etc).
Reply 8
Thanks. Would getting a CULP Award (I'm currently Intermediate 2, so hopefully I'll be Advance by the end of uni) or a Certificate of Proficiency look good on a cv for whatever career I do?
Original post by threeportdrift
I'm not sure you would achieve fluency through CULP courses, but if you worked at it, there will be enough French speakers in Cambridge that you could join conversation groups within the university and in the City (through Meetup etc).
Thanks. Would getting a CULP Award (I'm currently Intermediate 2, so hopefully I'll be Advance by the end of uni) or a Certificate of Proficiency look good on a cv for whatever career I do?

It wouldn't harm, but I'd expect anyone hiring a musician who could speak French would invite to interview based on musical fit and simply test the French at interview. Otherwise, they'd ask for a standard against the international language standards of B2 etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending