Help.. lived abroad 2 years ago but really want to go Uni this Sep Watch

oapstudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,
Wondered if anyone can advise please? I have applied and been accepted for my first degree this September.
I applied for Student finance and it got to the page 'have you or your partner lived abroad in the last 3 years?... I kept a registered address here and bank account and returned home frequently. I have been living the rest of my life in the UK and really don't want to get turned down for the sake of 9 months [returned perm to UK July 2017] I really can't afford to do it without the loan and have a family.
Should I just put 'no' or should I say 'yes'? I was accompanying my wife and was not employed so on a dependent visa, we was living in Asia if that makes a difference.

Many thanks,
Jen SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by oapstudent)
Hi,
Wondered if anyone can advise please? I have applied and been accepted for my first degree this September.
I applied for Student finance and it got to the page 'have you or your partner lived abroad in the last 3 years?... I kept a registered address here and bank account and returned home frequently. I have been living the rest of my life in the UK and really don't want to get turned down for the sake of 9 months [returned perm to UK July 2017] I really can't afford to do it without the loan and have a family.
Should I just put 'no' or should I say 'yes'? I was accompanying my wife and was not employed so on a dependent visa, we was living in Asia if that makes a difference.

Many thanks,
Hi there,

Was your stay in Asia of a temporary nature? If so, can you please clarify whether you were working there/what the nature of your stay was?

Thanks, Jen
oapstudent
Rep:
?
Hi Jen,
Yes, I was a stay at home Dad whilst my wife worked there on a 2 year contract. So I had a 'dependants' 2 year visa.
(Original post by Jen SFE)
Hi there,

Was your stay in Asia of a temporary nature? If so, can you please clarify whether you were working there/what the nature of your stay was?

Thanks, Jen
Jen SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Jen,
Yes, I was a stay at home Dad whilst my wife worked there on a 2 year contract. So I had a 'dependants' 2 year visa.
If you can send us evidence that proves this was a temporary break, such as your dependents visa, and anything else that may assist with this, we can assess you for funding. Every individual is assessed on a case-by-case basis. To answer the initial question you asked, you should answer 'yes' to the question 'have you or your partner lived abroad in the last 3 years?' and then proceed to send us in the evidence I have detailed above. You should send this to:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Jen
oapstudent
Rep:
?
Thanks I will do. Should I accept the place at the university in the mean while? I only have until 20th July to accept and expect the decision from SFE will take longer? Without the loan I won't be able to proceed. Do you have any indication how soon the decision will be made?
Also, do you have any info on how likely it is to be accepted? Please feel free to pm me if easier, thanks.
Jen SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks I will do. Should I accept the place at the university in the mean while? I only have until 20th July to accept and expect the decision from SFE will take longer? Without the loan I won't be able to proceed. Do you have any indication how soon the decision will be made?
Also, do you have any info on how likely it is to be accepted? Please feel free to pm me if easier, thanks.
We would advise to accept the offer to study in the meantime. Applications can take between 4-6 weeks to be fully processed, once you've submitted your application continue checking your online account as updates will be made here. Due to the information you have given me, if you send evidence of your break in UK residency being of a temporary nature it sounds like you'll be eligible for funding! Good luck applying

Thanks, Jen
oapstudent
Rep:
?
Thanks alot Jen..
(Original post by Jen SFE)
We would advise to accept the offer to study in the meantime. Applications can take between 4-6 weeks to be fully processed, once you've submitted your application continue checking your online account as updates will be made here. Due to the information you have given me, if you send evidence of your break in UK residency being of a temporary nature it sounds like you'll be eligible for funding! Good luck applying

Thanks, Jen
Jen SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks alot Jen..
You're very welcome! If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Thanks, Jen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (525)
59.39%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.37%

Watched Threads