What are your spending habits? Watch

jenren22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
How carefree are you about money? If an opportunity or event arises, or you like something in a shop, do you go for it without even thinking how much it is, or if you can afford it?

Now i know we're all different in that some people have more money than others, but are you generally cautious about spending money,and work it all out in your head how much you'd have left etc before you bought something? Or do you just buy it and say 'well i just had to have it' or 'well if i needed it, i needed it'?

I just want to know about student spending habits as i'm a bit money conscious sometimes, shop in all the cheap shops, work out how much i have to spend a week etc, but it's all a bit rigid and at the moment i'm being a bit carefree, just because i know i have savings (which are there for something specific).
joeydeacon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're money conscious, then that's the way to be. Don't change!
Lulu*et*Moi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think having a budget is really helpful. I spend way too much..mostly on food :eek: Just little things like a Grande Frappucino from Starbucks or a Subway (£3.20!!?)..
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lulu*et*Moi)
mostly on food
Same... having expensive tastes certainly hurts the wallet.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I try to buy things only if I really need them/when on sale...However, I make a lot of impulse buys. I am careful not to buy things I won't actually use though. I spend money on food...because I'd rather eat decent food if I can afford to! I save, but spend when appropriate! You can't enjoy money when you are dead/ill.
alenax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Awful, I shouldn't be allowed an overdraft! I go shopping even when I know that I really shouldn't. I'm trying to train my mind to think differently though.
Lulu*et*Moi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't had any money in my account for almost a year now :eek:

Good thing I can't go overdraft though
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
I don't spend much at all. The majority of it is on food, and I'll infrequently buy clothes. Perhaps once every two years there's a big purchase, e.g. a games console.
:):)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if ive got money to spend like birthday moeny ill spend it without thinking too much if i know ive got to save for something ill be careful and think about how much im spending im going to make a budget before i go to uni
francescarella
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
weeell i'm currently on ebay and asos.com right now.....eeks. not a good sign.
although i never spend to the limit and i only buy if i reaaaaalllllly want it and will definitely use it. i dont mind if it's cheap. i dont care about designer products that much. i just want...stuff. loits of new stuff. i get bored with things really easy.
i imagine when uni starts i am going to be royally ****ed though
i was actually having a conversation with my dad yesterday about buying some dividends and investing in stocks and shares to help my income steadily increase.
Belle-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I spend way too much money but kinda know when to stop. I'm not tempted by a night out if I can't afford it. I never let my bank get below a certain amount either, so technically I'm not skint when I say I am but I'd hate to have £0 in the bank.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I have savings I try my best not to spend them because I hate to see the amount go down, especially if it's for something like car tax or whatever.

As a student, Im pretty **** at budgetting tbh, I meant to only spend about £60/week after rent but it often ends up a bit more than that when I go for a night out. It's amazing how even £10 on a night out cuts into that budget!
*anon*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I never let my bank get below a certain amount either, so technically I'm not skint when I say I am but I'd hate to have £0 in the bank.
me too, i always like to have some money in there for a "rainy day" and i kinda have a fear of not having enough money when paying on my card, it would be my worst nightmare.
Jessaay!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm really tight with my money, but I have a weakness for pretty dresses and skirts and River Island clothes so I try to avoid those places.

Otherwise I don't spend a thing. I like to watch money build up in my bank, it makes me feel wealthy.
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I never really worried about how much was in my bank account. I'm quite a careful person anyway with money and don't make big purchases often, so had the freedom to buy all the little things when I wanted to

I also knew that I could just not go out at all and spend next to nothing if I needed to.
in_vogue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am ridiculous with my money and I don't know how to control it. I never splash out on nice clothes, not really for big events, never go to a hairdressers or anything like that, rarely eat out.

But I fritter away huge sums of money (sandwiches, coffees, magazines, cigarettes, nights out, cocktails, the odd cheap top here and there, suncream) and never check my balance. Then I panic when I screw up.

Really wish I could sort myself out. Now I'm getting my overdraft extended to £500, I think I'm going to draw up a budget. I hate that I have the spending mentality of a 15 year old, despite my dad forcing me to keep a ''pocket money budget'' when I was younger.

I suppose at least I'm not maxing out credit cards and £1,500 overdrafts like some people I know, but still...
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i spend £14 a week on horse riding so thats £56 a month!
i got some money saved up from an christmas job but not that much
i try not to spend too much on ebay last thing was a laptop charger and that was less then a tenner so go me and ive brought a couple of ds games and that came to as much as a brand new game cause they were second hand.
i spend far too much on food but im trying to cut down at the moment
i normally just window shop as well

when i start university i'm going to spend my money on some second hand books for it and plently of stationary but my parents have said they'll be happy to help with that. i'm not looking forward to the £12 bus tickets per week since it'll be £4.40 for bus tickets to allestree from derby
lostdoll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not at uni yet, but I used to spend loads of money on big lunches at college, clothes and other crap that I didn't really need. Now my wages aren't as good at work and I put a lot of money into a high interest account (so I wouldn't spend it!) - so I've found myself bringing packed lunches, questioning whether I really need something, and saving my money for the odd night out, art materials, presents etc.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty good with money, actually. If I go outside my budget one week, I'll always make sure I cut back somewhere along the line to make up for it. It's not that hard, really.. I don't understand why some people find it too difficult to figure out what they can afford to spend per week/month and stick to it, or at least stick close to it.
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I see something I like in a shop, I mean really really really like, then I'll buy it no question. Most of the time I won't even look at the price, cos I will know roughly how much it'd be by the shop I'm in. I don't have a weekly budget or anything, but that's cos I earn quite a lot of money. Although I was the same way when I was skint as well, lol. Probably why I racked up so much debt when I was 18 haha.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (513)
46.98%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (339)
31.04%
I don't have an opinion (240)
21.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed