Moving out at 18? Watch

IWantACuppa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Right, so I've recently finished my A-Levels and just been offered a job in IT (17k a year) with a start date at the end of July. This has got me thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to take the next step of adulting and get my own place.

I want to know if anyone thinks this is likely.

My salary would be roughly £15k after taxes and all that boring stuff, or around £1250 a month - what is the likelihood that a landlord would be willing to rent a small flat, £550 - £650 a month, to me without a guarantor?

I was thinking I could wait until my probationary period was over and use the money saved during that time to put down the deposit and rent in advance?

Honestly I have little understanding of how it would all work so if anyone could shine some light my way I'd greatly appreciate it!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Bump
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Paypurr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You will need to put down a deposit, so it would be wise to save up enough to cover the deposit and first month rent. Also have extra to cover bills. It would depend on the accommodation, some include bills in the pricing so you will know how much you need to save. But some don’t include electricity and water etc in the rent.

When I was looking to move out at 18, I didn’t need a guarantor. Silly question, because you probably would have asked them if you could have, but could you ask some relatives for advice about it?

My mum got accepted for a mortgage at 18 years old, she didn’t need a guarantor. So I can’t see why you couldn’t rent a little flat.

Just do your research, make sure you know the ins and outs of the terms, they could catch you out.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
IWantACuppa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you! Will do more research and maybe get in contact with a landlord and discuss what they would want/need in terms of payments.

(Original post by Paypurr)
You will need to put down a deposit, so it would be wise to save up enough to cover the deposit and first month rent. Also have extra to cover bills. It would depend on the accommodation, some include bills in the pricing so you will know how much you need to save. But some don’t include electricity and water etc in the rent.

When I was looking to move out at 18, I didn’t need a guarantor. Silly question, because you probably would have asked them if you could have, but could you ask some relatives for advice about it?

My mum got accepted for a mortgage at 18 years old, she didn’t need a guarantor. So I can’t see why you couldn’t rent a little flat.

Just do your research, make sure you know the ins and outs of the terms, they could catch you out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (525)
59.39%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.37%

Watched Threads