I think I failed my Grade three trumpet exam Watch

EdgeofaBlade
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I did my grade three trumpet today... and it went horribly. My pieces were okay, my aural was fine, but the scales and arpeggios

There were certain scales and arpeggios I played and played well, but for most of the arpeggios... my mind went blank, I knew all of them, but my brain just deleted them when I was asked. I had to start a lot of them over and over, some of them I’m not sure I even got close to.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Moved to music
pineapplepink
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it's probably ok- I did a grade 3 exam last year (albeit not for trumpet) and I made a couple of mistakes in the scales and I still did fine so I think you will have passed at least. Anyway, you said it yourself that your pieces & aural were fine. I have always been told by my instructors that music examiners aren't looking to fail you anyway- they want you to do well so don't worry too much
(Original post by EdgeofaBlade)
I did my grade three trumpet today... and it went horribly. My pieces were okay, my aural was fine, but the scales and arpeggios

There were certain scales and arpeggios I played and played well, but for most of the arpeggios... my mind went blank, I knew all of them, but my brain just deleted them when I was asked. I had to start a lot of them over and over, some of them I’m not sure I even got close to.
Last edited by pineapplepink; 1 week ago
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is ok. You have little chance to fail, as you said your other parts went ok.
I made similar mistakes in my grade 4 and 6 piano exams, but ended up with 124 and 127 marks respectively.
In my grade 4 the sight reading was quite difficult and I only got like 14 or 15/21, and I was quite weak in sight reading at the time. Furthermore, I was asked to start a chromatic scale on G# but I started on F#. It was the pieces which pulled my marks back up, as I unexpectedly got a 30 for my A piece.
In my grade 6 exam, which was held on the day my city's train network suffered its worst ever delay, I was quite nervous, hoping that I could get there on time, and ended up waiting for 45 mins for a bus. When I finally got on the bus, I practised my fingers by the left window of the lower deck. I made a slip on my third piece, but earned a 26/30, while getting a 24/30 and 25/30 in my other 2 pieces. I had to restart 1 of the scales but still earned a 17. I got 18/21 in sight reading as the piece was quite easy, and just 1 mark off a perfect score in aural.
Last edited by 8013; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (524)
59.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.38%

Watched Threads