Ellachmbs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm at the end of year 12 and am thinking of applying to Oxford for Chemistry. However, I've recently heard that the university doesn't look favorably on you if you apply without physics (I take Biology, Chemistry and maths A-levels). Would I stand a decent chance applying to Oxford or is it best to apply to Cambridge for Natsci?
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A lot of uni chem is quite physics based and I have heard of them asking somewhat physics based questions in ox chem interviews however it isn't an explicit requirement. If it's not covered in mechanics in a-level maths, I would look up hookes law and potential energy in an a-level phys textbook due to relevancy to descriptions of chemical bonding. Coulomb's law would also be a good thing to look up.
Your a-level choices are more suited to biochem or bionatsci at cambridge but I'm sure plenty of people do get into ox chem with your a-levels, just gotta make sure you're familiar with some basic physical concepts that underpin many chemical interactions.
Ellachmbs
Rep:
?
Thanks for your response!
(Original post by black1blade)
A lot of uni chem is quite physics based and I have heard of them asking somewhat physics based questions in ox chem interviews however it isn't an explicit requirement. If it's not covered in mechanics in a-level maths, I would look up hookes law and potential energy in an a-level phys textbook due to relevancy to descriptions of chemical bonding. Coulomb's law would also be a good thing to look up.
Your a-level choices are more suited to biochem or bionatsci at cambridge but I'm sure plenty of people do get into ox chem with your a-levels, just gotta make sure you're familiar with some basic physical concepts that underpin many chemical interactions.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We have known successful applicants for Chemistry without Physics. Students in this position need to be prepared to learn some Physics for the course though so if you can fit in some private study that might be an idea.
(Original post by Ellachmbs)
I'm at the end of year 12 and am thinking of applying to Oxford for Chemistry. However, I've recently heard that the university doesn't look favorably on you if you apply without physics (I take Biology, Chemistry and maths A-levels). Would I stand a decent chance applying to Oxford or is it best to apply to Cambridge for Natsci?
nguz1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I applied to Oxford this year for chemistry doing IB with HL Chem, Bio and History (no physics at all) and I got an offer, I don't think not having physics made any difference so I'd say go for it if you want to do chem and not natsci
JacobPhysics
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I reckon you’d have a better shot at Cambridge nat sci
louishill1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Prof Nick Green himself, a physical lecturer at Oxford, says it's fine to apply without A-level Physics. He says you will get the tutoring in physics throughout the course to get you up to speed. As it is not a specific requirement, they cannot discriminate based on it, even though it's useful.

He gave an example of a student who had studied French as a 3rd A-Level and went on to be very successful.
Ellachmbs
Rep:
?
Thank you- seems like it's worth a shot
alevelphysicist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ellachmbs)
I have a friend who didn't take Physics and got in so you'll be fine!
Poooky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not having physics is fine, I didn't. But there are some colleges which you need to avoid which have a stronger emphasis on physics, such as Merton. About 1/3 if successful applicants didn't have physics in my first year (2013)
giella
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You could pick up the AS level in year 13 to demonstrate your interest and prepare yourself better for the course. That’s partly what the AS levels are for, broadening your education.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (117)
24.43%
Pop (110)
22.96%
Jazz (22)
4.59%